The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anechoic Chambers!! Sound doesn't reflect!!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Anechoic Chambers!! Sound doesn't reflect!!
« on: 29/03/2008 23:23:04 »
Apparently, in this "anechoic chamber", as my physics teacher described, is a chamber which hardly reflects any sound.

But, when he was in there for a few minutes, he felt really depressed and annoyed and.. I don't know how to explain.. Stuffy and annoying.. He was very glad when he left the room

Why would this be?

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2008 23:37:47 »
An anechoic chamber absorbs almost all sound, so is essentially silent - much quieter than normal "quiet" places. Even sounds you make yourself will be substantially attenuated. Imagine an ordinary quiet room, then think about what you would still hear - sounds from outside, a clock ticking perhaps. Anechoic (and sound-insulated) room... nothing.
This probably gives a sense of sensory-deprivation - which is always a bit weird.

My hearing is not very good, so I probably wouldn't notice the difference between an anechoic room and an ordinary quiet living-room.

In the past I visited a cleanroom where they make silicon chips. We had to dress up in "bunny suits". Our hearing was muffled by the headgear, we couldn't feel much for the gloves, we may have had goggles too, and the lighting was monochromatic much like the very orange sodium streetlights. That was very weird, and left me feeling like I was somehow not-really-there.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2008 00:00:12 »
I want to go in one lol. It sounds very cool.

Thanks for your very descriptive detailed picture!!! ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2008 00:00:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums