The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Flashing Lights Cause Epileptic Fits ?  (Read 12360 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Does Flashing Lights Cause Epileptic Fits ?
« on: 02/04/2008 19:58:31 »
Dearest Peeps,

How are ewe today ?...ewe well ?..I'm ok !!..still a bit deaf in one ear y'know....having another grommet put in on April 22nd !!...anyway...thanks for the chat !!

See wifeys and mine new boots ?

Cool eh ?...makes us look snazzy when vandalizing a phone box **

Good job they don't flash.....because if they did they might set off an epileptic seizure !!......or wouldn't they ?........

...why does flashing lights do this ?.....what is an epileptic fit ?.....does it run in the family ?

THANKS

Neil

**This site does not condone the vandaliasation of telephone boxes which are nice and special and luffley !!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2008 20:02:36 »
Just curious.. What's a grommet!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2008 20:04:53 »
My friend has had many epileptic fits. About 3-4 in a couple of months!

I was also curious about what these were. So I did a bit of research on Wikipedia!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Epilepsy is a common chronic neurological disorder that is characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures.These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms due to abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain. About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy at any one time. Epilepsy is usually controlled, but not cured, with medication, although surgery may be considered in difficult cases. Not all epilepsy syndromes are lifelong some forms are confined to particular stages of childhood. Epilepsy should not be understood as a single disorder, but rather as a group of syndromes with vastly divergent symptoms but all involving episodic abnormal electrical activity in the brain

This seems to be a very good description indeed! :D

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2008 20:05:59 »
I have no idea whether the flashing should trigger this!!

"These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms due to abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain."

But maybe the flashing are abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2008 20:25:14 »
cool research young dude !!

hmmmmm...methinks me can see why flashy light badness might set it orf...but would like a definitive answer !

oh....grommet ishere

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2008 20:33:44 »
 It triggers something in the brain of those with epilepsy and such.. nueral disorders.. My son had a game boy viewer thing that had warnings all over it for this very thing!!(reason)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2008 20:44:10 »
It triggers something in the brain of those with epilepsy and such.. nueral disorders.. My son had a game boy viewer thing that had warnings all over it for this very thing!!(reason)

Absolutely right Mam....we get warnings all the time before programmes and in the news too if a news item contains flash photography etc.....and yes..my kids have it on all their games too........I know it can set it off..I just want to know how it does it...

Thanks for your post....YAYYYYYYYY !!!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/2008 20:54:50 »
cool research young dude !!

hmmmmm...methinks me can see why flashy light badness might set it orf...but would like a definitive answer !

oh....grommet ishere

That grommet thing is tiny!!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/2008 20:56:27 »

Absolutely right Mam....we get warnings all the time before programmes and in the news too if a news item contains flash photography etc.....and yes..my kids have it on all their games too........I know it can set it off..I just want to know how it does it...

Thanks for your post....YAYYYYYYYY !!!

Now I'm really curious as to why flashy stuff sets it off!! What's your theory, which your not definite of?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2008 20:56:52 »
Your welcome.. I don't understand it either.. Oh that game was virtual boy.. not game boy.. hee hee.. I get em confused..

I wonder is it has to do with the neurons and synapses, (Oh I spelled that wrong..I think) the point where the they meet I think it makes like an electrical connection as it is mylenated.. Maybe it causes a short as it interrupts that process of coating the memory of the action.. maybe it causes a hitch at the connection...??? I Am not sure but it is interesting~!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2008 20:59:46 »
No you did not spell it wrong.. I think ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/04/2008 21:11:49 »
Thanks!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/04/2008 22:48:05 »
;)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/04/2008 00:41:44 »
I do have epilepsy and any type of flashing lights can be a trigger for my seizures/fits as you may be aware that when
a newsreader warns us the public of flashing lights and if you're epileptic to look away.

Well I hide my head in the sofa to stop that happening. Even just flashing lights from the Police, Fire-engines and Ambulances make me turn my head away.

It is to do with the nerve cells in our heads using the Static electricity a bit like a light bulb fuses just when it goes.
Taking medicine doesn't always work but then taking Vitamin C for a cold won't always stop it.
http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/leaflets/photo.cfm

It has not stopped me doing anything yet!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/04/2008 02:02:26 »
I do have epilepsy and any type of flashing lights can be a trigger for my seizures/fits as you may be aware that when
a newsreader warns us the public of flashing lights and if you're epileptic to look away.

Well I hide my head in the sofa to stop that happening. Even just flashing lights from the Police, Fire-engines and Ambulances make me turn my head away.

It is to do with the nerve cells in our heads using the Static electricity a bit like a light bulb fuses just when it goes.
Taking medicine doesn't always work but then taking Vitamin C for a cold won't always stop it.

THANK YOU ROSALIND DNA for this wonderful post and brilliant link !

I applaud you for your volunteering this information and am grateful to you for it.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/04/2008 02:59:59 »
Thanks Rosalind.. I think its great you don't let it hinder you... Nice link..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03/04/2008 03:01:08 »
Dearest Peeps,

How are ewe today ?...ewe well ?..I'm ok !!..still a bit deaf in one ear y'know....having another grommet put in on April 22nd !!...anyway...thanks for the chat !!

See wifeys and mine new boots ?

Cool eh ?...makes us look snazzy when vandalizing a phone box **

Good job they don't flash.....because if they did they might set off an epileptic seizure !!......or wouldn't they ?........

...why does flashing lights do this ?.....what is an epileptic fit ?.....does it run in the family ?

THANKS

Neil

**This site does not condone the vandaliasation of telephone boxes which are nice and special and luffley !!

By the way the boots are cool.. LOL Somehow I can't picture you wearing them... but they are bright and cool!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03/04/2008 10:38:01 »

fine and thanks, Neil also Karen, I was very cautious before I posted this message but now I am glad that I had the chance to share this with you all.

« Last Edit: 03/04/2008 10:40:10 by rosalind dna »

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03/04/2008 11:06:47 »
Thank you Rosalind!! Thank you for volunteering! Very fascinating..

Why would this flashing trigger it though?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03/04/2008 11:52:47 »
Thank you Rosalind!! Thank you for volunteering! Very fascinating..

Why would this flashing trigger it though?

Seany thank you and I think but I am not sure that reason for the flashing lights be a trigger for my fits is because it's the sudden movement of lights. For example when we see an emergency vehicle's lights passing in the street. They could start me off also the camera's flash to my face does that.
Not my camera's flash.
Just ask away and I'll do my best to answer if I can.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03/04/2008 15:47:31 »
I think it's to do with the fact that the flashing lights trigger bursts of neural activity in the optic nerve and other associated brain areas. If this is at the right (well, wrong, I guess) frequency, it can cause synchronous firing of other groups of nerves and so a seizure. Does that make sense?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03/04/2008 16:34:26 »
I think it's to do with the fact that the flashing lights trigger bursts of neural activity in the optic nerve and other associated brain areas. If this is at the right (well, wrong, I guess) frequency, it can cause synchronous firing of other groups of nerves and so a seizure. Does that make sense?

I know that ewe might all find this extraordinary (as I do)...but this makes perfect sense to me.....and *swallows a gulp*....is exactly along the lines that I was thinking of !!

Gosh....Rosy and I are equally klevur !!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03/04/2008 16:42:52 »
Yes Rosy you are correct 100%,also you found the words that I was searching for. Thanks.
Seizures are so scarey because I don't know when they come and then I go unconsccious.

Quote from: rosy on Today at 15:47:31

I know that ewe might all find this extraordinary (as I do)...but this makes perfect sense to me.....and *swallows a gulp*....is exactly along the lines that I was thinking of !!

Gosh....Rosy and I are equally klevur !!
Yes, Neil you and Rosy are clever people. Makes total sense to me.
I was thinking about if you think that it's suitable to do a thread about epilepsy? If yes or not. Fine either way.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03/04/2008 17:02:33 »
I was thinking about if you think that it's suitable to do a thread about epilepsy? If yes or not. Fine either way.

ROSALIND ...I think that's a fantastic idea......I can't think of anyone better suited to author it rather than yourself......after all.......you have an intimate knowledge of the symptoms....and your first hand experience, and perhaps a chronological time-line/report as to how this came to be with you would be awesome !!....whajafink ?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03/04/2008 18:31:48 »
Is it true that people with very bad epilepcy have to have parts of their brain removed to stop them going into a chain of fits that can be life threatening?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 03/04/2008 18:31:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums