The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Flashing Lights Cause Epileptic Fits ?  (Read 12345 times)

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Why Does Flashing Lights Cause Epileptic Fits ?
« Reply #25 on: 03/04/2008 18:32:58 »
I'd love to know why as well and think it is also to do with frequency.

Although I'm not epileptic flashing lights or things like travelling in a car with the sun flashing between the trees triggers a rapid migraine. Some fluorescent lights and yes, camera flashes also do the same.

I'm not sure if migraine and epilepsy have a link but it seems strange that some of the "triggers" are the same.

It would be good to read your experiences Rosalind as there are several things I would like to ask.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2008 12:31:01 by BenV »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03/04/2008 18:36:36 »
By the way I helped save someone once who had a fit in the jacuzzi. He was sat right next to me. one minute we were chatting and the next he just stopped and starred of into space. Luckily my Mum was a special needs nurse so I'd seen some one going into a seizure before. I Just grabbed his head as he was about to slide down into the water.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/04/2008 18:49:05 »
Is it true that people with very bad epilepcy have to have parts of their brain removed to stop them going into a chain of fits that can be life threatening?

Make it Lady, yes that is true, but not me. My brain is the same as it always been and just changed with age.
Fits can be life-threatening because as I've heard that if they go on for longer than 15-30 minutes they can life-threatening or stop the person's breath in some but rare cases. Cause heart-attacks.
None of these symptoms bother me. Thanks for asking.

Neil yes I will do that thread sometime before the end of this spring.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03/04/2008 18:59:46 »

Although I'm not epileptic flashing lights or things like travelling in a car with the sun flashing between the trees triggers a rapid migraine. Some fluorescent lights and yes, camera flashes also do the same.

I'm not sure if migraine and epilepsy have a link but it seems strange that some of the "triggers" are the same.

It would be good to read your experiences Rosalind as there are several things I would like to ask.

That Mad Man, thanks for your question but sorry I do not know anything about Migraines except that you feel nauseous(sp) and can't stand bright lights. I did have a late friend who'd had migraines but that was years ago.
Yes they may well have a link. I wish that I could help you. I will research it first. As my Rosalind Franklin thread shows that I do my reserch well.

Well done, Make it Lady and you should feel proud of yourself by saving that man's life.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/04/2008 21:03:50 »
Neil yes I will do that thread sometime before the end of this spring.

Thank you Rosalind. It will be very interesting! :)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/04/2008 21:31:18 »

This happens to me too, especially the sun flashing between the trees.  That makes me really ill, migraine, nauseousness and sometimes feel like I'm going to pass out.  I've mentioned it to several friends and family and none of them have this problem, nor have ever heard of it with the exception of my nurse friend and she insisted that I may have some form of epilepsy, but I blew it off because I've never had any other symptoms.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04/04/2008 12:09:03 »

This happens to me too, especially the sun flashing between the trees.  That makes me really ill, migraine, nauseousness and sometimes feel like I'm going to pass out.  I've mentioned it to several friends and family and none of them have this problem, nor have ever heard of it with the exception of my nurse friend and she insisted that I may have some form of epilepsy, but I blew it off because I've never had any other symptoms.

Carolyn sorry to hear about this and no I don't want to tell you what  to do but I would recommend that you go to your family doctor and then she/he might be able to diagnose this for you.
But you are right about the very bright sunlight and the flashing lights. When I have to walk down one of the local hills near my home there is a fence made out of railings and I always hope that is a grey day but otherwise it flashes so I have to turn my head away. Thanks

Seany thanks and it is fine

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07/04/2008 10:11:52 »
When I do my epilepsy thread, I was thinking about adding the basics of first aid for a person, who's having an epileptic seizure/fit but I only know about the Uk methods for First Aid.

I would like to add the US First Aid but I am not sure what to do.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=13772.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilepsy
« Last Edit: 07/04/2008 11:48:01 by rosalind dna »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 07/04/2008 10:11:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums