The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Weightlifting Stunt Growth ?  (Read 12459 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Does Weightlifting Stunt Growth ?
« on: 03/04/2008 13:36:23 »
Dear Growthologists,

See this weightlifter lad ?

Weightlifting does not appear to have stunted his growth !...well...he may appear a little pale in the face somewhat but I'm not gonna argue with him !!

Anyway, is it true that weightlifting ,or working with weights as a young lad/boy, can indeed stunt growth ?

If so....why so ?

Thanks

Neil

xx

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2008 13:51:34 »
Apparently the best age to increase muscles at a young age is 18-20 years old.

Before that, weightlifting may increase your hormones, but it isn't good for your body enlargement. Sports such as football, rugby etc, are good for younger ages to build your muscles.

Also surely, large and heavy weights put alot of pressure on your joints in the knees, which may decrease your growth.. Or would it stimulate growth?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2008 13:53:56 »
But I have had many people say the following..

Weight lifting does NOT stunt growth. A friend of mine has been lifting since he was nine and he's fifteen and just as tall as me about 5'9. I'm sure you've all heard this before, but really dont push yourself. You can use a light to heavy weight as long as you have good form and are careful in not hurting yourself you should be fine. Steroids, however creates a myriad of problems and not only will it severly stunt your vertical growth it will make your bones brittle and weak.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2008 21:10:21 »
It does if the weights fall on your head.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2008 21:15:17 »

Weight lifting does NOT stunt growth. A friend of mine has been lifting since he was nine and he's fifteen and just as tall as me about 5'9. I'm sure you've all heard this before, but really dont push yourself. You can use a light to heavy weight as long as you have good form and are careful in not hurting yourself you should be fine. Steroids, however creates a myriad of problems and not only will it severly stunt your vertical growth it will make your bones brittle and weak.

Dear Mr seany.

I am indebted to ewe for this post and the earlier one.......thing is...could the person who reached 5ft 9 been able to grow to six feet if he had not done the weights ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2008 21:17:55 »
It does if the weights fall on your head.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2008 21:33:26 »
Dear Growthologists,

See this weightlifter lad ?

Weightlifting does not appear to have stunted his growth !...well...he may appear a little pale in the face somewhat but I'm not gonna argue with him !!

Anyway, is it true that weightlifting ,or working with weights as a young lad/boy, can indeed stunt growth ?

If so....why so ?

Thanks

Neil

xx

I have heard that it does damage to joints etc if too young as Seany says... but how would they know if he would have stopped growing unless they checked to see if his body had stopped producing growth hormones to aid in the growing..?

I too wonder how they would know that?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/04/2008 21:39:13 »

Dear Mr seany.

I am indebted to ewe for this post and the earlier one.......thing is...could the person who reached 5ft 9 been able to grow to six feet if he had not done the weights ?

Yes.. I am not totally sure about this!! But lots of people seem to say its bollock-weed (or along those lines) about it stunting growth! But I would have assumed so!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/04/2008 22:44:39 »
I've been looking for a definative answer to this for months!  In the majority of the research I've done the answer is no, it doesn't stunt growth as long as certain guidelines are followed.  The boy or girl should not overdo (low repetions), avoid heavy lifting, uses proper technique and allows adequate rest for the body between workouts. 

Nics been weightlifting for about 9 months now and so far his growth hasn't been stunted...I don't think.  He's 5'10.

The American College of Sports Medicine has some useful info as well. 

Here's a short blurb:

Strength training with maximal weights is not
recommended because of the potential
for possible injuries related to the long
bones, growth plates, and back. It must
be underscored that the overriding
emphasis should be on proper technique
and safety, not on how much weight can
be lifted

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Search&Template=/Search/SearchDisplay.cfm

Click on number one and go to page 5.  Sorry I couldn't copy the direct link.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/04/2008 23:11:42 »
Does Weight Lifting Stunt Growth?

Proof Weight Lifting Doesnít Stunt Growth. Olympic Weight Lifters have to start at a young age to get to the top. Check out the heavier weight classes: plenty of tall guys.

Dave Draper, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno, Shaquille OíNeal, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Michael Vick, Ö All started lifting weights in their early teens and are over 6′ /1m82 tall.
(Not sure about this.. Because they could have all grown taller, or it could be the minority..)

Where The Myth Comes From. Children & adolescents have growth plate at the end of most bones. Growth plate regulates the length & shape of bones. Bone grows around growth plate, not from the center outward.

Growth plate is the last part of bones to harden. This makes it more vulnerable to fractures which can cause problems like unequal bone length. Weight lifting can stunt your growth if you damage growth plate.
(This bit sounds pretty reasonable!!)

The Truth. You donít get hit on your ankles & knees during weight lifting like with Soccer. You donít get collisions like in Football. The only way you can fracture your bones is by letting weights fall on you like this guy.

Weight lifting remains the safest sport when done correctly. Safety depends on proper technique, which your learn best using light weights.
(Yes.. Well pretty obvious I thought..)

Weight Lifting for Youth. Weight lifting strengthens bones & muscles which can prevent injuries in other activities. Weight lifting builds character: persistence, self-control, confidence,Ö It sets the trend for a healthy lifestyle, keeping youth away from unhealthy ones.

Weight lifting recommendations for youth:

Supervision. All exercises must be done with proper technique. Stop bad technique immediately & discourage it.
Warm-up. Warm muscles are harder to injure than cold ones. Always start with an empty barbell & do plenty of warm up sets.
Technique. You canít put any weight on the barbell until you can do your exercises correctly. This will act motivating.
Stay Away From Failure. Technique deteriorates with heavy attempts. No 1 rep max. Start with an empty barbell, add weight each workout.

Weight lifting stunting your growth is one of the many myths still going around. Some believe weight lifting can actually stimulate growth because of increased bone mineralization.
(I was actually pointing more at this bit here about stimulating growth, as I mentioned all the way above!!!)

I'm still not really sure whether it does stunt growth or whether it even stimulates it!!

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/04/2008 23:29:27 »
Wrist joints aren't fully developed until about 20 years. Lifting 'heavy' weights is not a good idea until then. If you did, you could over develop one muscle and pull the joint out of wack.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 03/04/2008 23:29:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length