The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to get rid of a wart?  (Read 177241 times)

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Warts
« Reply #25 on: 29/05/2009 22:43:24 »
If you ignore warts they go away (this may take a while).
How can you tell if any of these "cures" works unless you do a controlled trial?
It can take more than 2 years. Depending on the location of the wart 2 years can be a long long time OUCH!
Warts are caused by a virus and the immune system needs time to learn to defeat it. Those home made remedies like slug slime simply might work through triggering an immune response and learning to kill the wart virus in the process too.

Cutting into the wart is a very bad idea. The blood and the pus is very infectious and this can lead to speading the infection. And unless you use a sterile knife you can infect the wound you cause, which can lead to really bad problems.

I have a wart too, on my index fingertip. Currently I'm trying an OTC freezing kit. So far it looks good. I tried other OTC stuff too, but it didn't really work. So if this freezing kit doesn't work I'll see a doctor.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Warts
« Reply #26 on: 29/07/2009 16:14:36 »
As I understand it, the treatment that works better than anything else in the studies is salicylic acid. You put it on, and then the next day you scrape it off with a knife until it bleeds, then put some more acid on it. It stings quite a bit, but unless it bleeds, it probably won't work. I think that when it hurts and bleeds the immune system starts taking the situation seriously and that helps eradicate the wart, you're also removing the infected skin of course.

If you do that, the wart should be gone in a few weeks.

In studies, salicylic acid works about 80% of the time. Other treatments like freezing don't work much better than chance.

Offline abrogard

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Warts
« Reply #27 on: 25/07/2012 08:57:17 »

'cutting into the wart is a bad idea... blood and pus very infectious..',  ' salicylic acid.... scrape off until it bleeds...'

I would like to fix my son's warts, he's 6 years old. This thread was looking promising. Could it perhaps resurrect itself and get more input until we start to get repeated posts about one method actually working?

Or is it nowadays a proven fact that it has a virus origin and only the anti-virus activities of the body in question will fix it?

In which case what is the best known scientific way to stimulate the body's anti-virus activities?

Offline NoraSmith

• First timers
  • Science is my love...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01/08/2012 14:20:10 »
I have heard this remedy before but I thought it was a joke  :-\

Offline john2223

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of a wart?
« Reply #29 on: 17/12/2013 22:11:52 »
I've heard of the oregano recipe but I never knew about the first method. Thanks for sharing. I've been learning some interesting ways to treat warts naturally. I'll pass this method on to my friend who has a wart on her feet.

Offline doctorf4

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of a wart?
« Reply #30 on: 13/01/2014 20:52:14 »
The disc solution works for, I can't remember which brand but I went through at least 4 packages.

The key is to keep applying until the wart is really gone....may be at 40 discs.

I stop applying the disc too early on the first couple of treatments

Each package should be just under $10

Offline purple82

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01/07/2014 02:08:52 »
I knew someone who had a wart on their foot and could not find out how to get rid of it.  Finally she tried duct tape.  It took a few months but it finally went away!  She had to have it covered constantly and it did look kind of silly, but it definitely worked.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 01/07/2014 02:08:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums