The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: RYAN & NEILS UNKNOWN BUGS  (Read 13319 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: RYAN & NEILS UNKNOWN BUGS
« Reply #25 on: 12/10/2004 20:48:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Broca

WOW!! What an exciting day we have had here in the classroom! We are so happy that we have a name for the bug. THANKS NEIL!!! Thank you everyone! Ryan has the web site info copied and is very proud and excited. Amazing that it is a vulnerable bug! It came here from Britain, how cool is that!
Ryan says thank you for your help. *

Can we have our bug back then please ?:D:D:D

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12/10/2004 23:13:55 »
Well yes, yes you can have your bug back, but I am bringing it....myself...no kids! :-)

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12/10/2004 23:17:06 »
Bugdoc rules   and so do you Neil!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/10/2004 02:21:12 »

Now I have my own bug too !!..I know it's a rubbish picture, but because it's 2:20am here there's no natural sunlight and the flash just makes it pure white, so I had to turn the flash off and get as close as possible, makes focusing tricky......but this bug...perhaps a relative of Ryans Oil Beetle, is only half an inch long......oh, at this very moment it's just stationery on my kitchen door frame...

« Last Edit: 21/10/2004 02:22:09 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21/10/2004 15:16:08 »
I just emailed the brilliant 'bugdoc' my bug....if we're lucky he may reply directly here as I included the link to this page......YAYYYYYY !!!
...oh...I just realised...my link may not work unless bugdoc is a registered user....hmm....we'll see.

« Last Edit: 21/10/2004 15:18:01 by neilep »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21/10/2004 15:44:35 »
looks like a weevil to me, not got my trusty insect book here though, so I'm probably wrong.

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21/10/2004 17:21:39 »
Ryan is thrilled...he thinks it does look like his bug. He would like to know if you are going to disect it? :-)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21/10/2004 17:28:01 »
I had a 'birdman of alcatraz' moment.....I opened the window and set it free.....of course that will probably mean that I've just condemned it to an ,ahem,....early retirement !!!!

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21/10/2004 23:30:44 »
The more I look at it it does not look like Ryans bug....his had a gleen to it! Ryan has now taken to catching bugs on their last leg and saving them for "pinning." He would never be able to kill them! I do thank everyone..especially Neil for the encouragement of this whole bug thing, but not as much as Ryans parents appreciate it. His mom has threatened me with several "pinned" insects in a beautiful case as a Christmas present, but she went on to say she would bring her son over for a surprise visit to my home meaning that the bugs would HAVE to be hanging on my wall. She thought she was being funny, but we all know the bugs WOULD be hanging on my wall! <laughing>  proudly!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22/10/2004 00:09:49 »
I agree...it is most certainly a different bug altogether, but as a first glance the structure looked similar...certainly my bug (where ever it is now !)..is a lot lot smaller, definitely has no sheen and had more of a mottled effect...close inspection reveals it's entirely different but I'm still hoping bugdoc may confirm that it's related...... (three mins later)Y'know...I think Lindsay is right, it is a weevil..!!searching for weevils via the link above (ala bugdoc) brings up piccys very similar to mine...WELL DONE LINDSAY !!

Broca, can I come over to your house and play pin the tail on the bug too  ?

« Last Edit: 22/10/2004 00:11:18 by neilep »

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24/10/2004 22:30:34 »
Neil...you can come over and play pin the tail on any household or yard bug! You bet!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28/10/2004 19:52:29 »
...I just so wanna jump on that plane...I might just do it !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28/10/2004 23:31:11 »
Hey Neil, when you come over, drop by my place!  It's only about 1500 miles southwest from Broca's!  And you can come too Broca!

I found a really cool insect the other day.  I was out hiking in the woods and came across this insect on a dead log.  It was about two inches long and very thin.  The head and thorax looked like a wasp, but the abdomen was about an inch and a half.  It's legs were very long and thin.  It was colored yellow and brown all over - very pretty.  At the back of the abdomen there was a clear membrane that spread out to a half inch high and had a couple of loops of a black wire looking something.  The insect was holding its tail way up high, pointing almost straight up, and coming out the front of the abdomen was an extension of the black wire at the back.  This was stuck down into a small crack in the log and the bug was apparently working hard getting it further down in there.

Now, I had no clue what this thing was, but I assumed it was laying an egg down in that log.  When I got home, I told my son about it, and he decided it was probably an ichneumon wasp, and that I was very lucky to have seen one because they are rare.  So, a few seconds with Google and I discovered that my 14 year old son was correct (even about how to spell it!).  Here is a picture:
http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-43-c-txt/cimg327.html

Pretty cool!

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01/11/2004 14:38:02 »
wow, I'm very proud of my bug identification skills! I have to admit I forgot all about it after my earlier reply and didn't look it up. sorry!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #38 on: 01/11/2004 14:38:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length