The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: New kind of Rocket engines, maser +Lithium  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
New kind of Rocket engines, maser +Lithium
« on: 02/10/2004 18:15:15 »
Science guys, how about this idea for a rocket engine? Fine lithium powder is sprayed into a chamber for expansion which would be say, a bulb shape with an opening and thrust cone. The chamber would have an electromagnetic inlet, for the maser and would be maser clear and thrust tight. The inner chamber of the contents then of lithium powder and strong microwave energy would be a microwave reflective surface. The lithium, a very light metal would plasmarize inside and give thrust.

Another idea that could be applied here, although with more difficulty that with the conventional rocket is the idea of a ram duct which open into the combustion chamber when the surface duct has such frontal pressure on it that it exceeds the back thrust and a valve opens into the combustion chamber. Duct radius 3 metres, inlet 10cm. Thus less fuel is needed. The intake could be aimed to swirl into the chamber ctreating a firey vortex.

In both cases the fuel is light and provides thrust.

Titanscape

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
Re: New kind of Rocket engines, maser +Lithium
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2004 19:01:33 »
Bloomin 'eck! What a coincidence!

I've just spent all afternoon knocking one together in me shed!

I'll let you know the results.

you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck!

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2004 01:38:11 »
Plasma engines have been energized with high voltage accelerators, and electric arcs. The latter have been more successful despite all the work done on the former, because they are more simple. You are proposing an even more complicated scheme than the HV accelerator, although your approach sounds like it would have the poorer performance (i.e. specific impulse) of the arc jet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2004 01:38:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length