The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes mouth ulcers?  (Read 24943 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What causes mouth ulcers?
« on: 09/04/2008 01:51:35 »
What causes mouth ulcers and why are some people more prone to get them.  Nic seems to get them every few months while his sister, Dad and I rarely get them.

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2008 11:40:21 »
Could be mouth hygiene, could be differences in mouth acidity, or could be an indication of general state of health and state of his immune system.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2008 11:41:45 »
I usually get them when I get really tired..?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2008 21:21:30 »
You might want to see how much vitamin C is in their diets too.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2008 21:34:53 »
Mouth ulcers and irregular bowel (constipation and diarrhea)
together with iron deficiency with/without anemia, may be
the only signs of coeliac disease, i.e. gluten intolerance.

ikoD

« Last Edit: 09/04/2008 21:37:18 by iko »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2008 19:56:46 »
Great cure for them might give you some idea about the cause. Fresh lime juice 3 times or more a day and they are usually gone within a day or two. Lime juice also works when you have an abscess beneath a tooth, swishing the lime juice between the affected gum/teeth for a minute or more will allow the acid to penetrate into the bacterium and kill it. Be warned that the thick pus becomes much thinner as a result of using lime juice and should erupt within a day or two filling your mouth with a foul tasting pea soup mixture of dead bacteria and white blood cells along with some cleaner blood.

Before people jump on me and say go to the dentist. These abscess are usually the result of going to the dentist in the first place.

Lime juice is like a magnum 45 held by Dirty Harry to a bulging pus filled abscess.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2008 20:03:28 »
If this "These abscess are usually the result of going to the dentist in the first place."
were true I think the people concerned would have noticed without posting the question here.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2008 23:32:53 »
Mouth ulcers and irregular bowel (constipation and diarrhea)
together with iron deficiency with/without anemia, may be
the only signs of coeliac disease, i.e. gluten intolerance.

ikoD

Thanks Iko.  I checked out your link and fortunately he doesn't have any of the other symptoms.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2008 23:35:34 »
You might want to see how much vitamin C is in their diets too.

Probably not alot.  He has pretty good eating habits, but I would say he doesn't get a lot of vitamin C.  The only time he takes Vitamin C is when he has a cold.

A lack of Vitamin C causes mouth ulcers? 

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/04/2008 23:38:46 »
Great cure for them might give you some idea about the cause. Fresh lime juice 3 times or more a day and they are usually gone within a day or two. Lime juice also works when you have an abscess beneath a tooth, swishing the lime juice between the affected gum/teeth for a minute or more will allow the acid to penetrate into the bacterium and kill it. Be warned that the thick pus becomes much thinner as a result of using lime juice and should erupt within a day or two filling your mouth with a foul tasting pea soup mixture of dead bacteria and white blood cells along with some cleaner blood.

Before people jump on me and say go to the dentist. These abscess are usually the result of going to the dentist in the first place.

Lime juice is like a magnum 45 held by Dirty Harry to a bulging pus filled abscess.

Thanks Andrew.  If I can find a fresh lime (small town, ya know?)I'll have him try it tonight.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/04/2008 13:34:15 »
BC it is common sense that tells us that injury can cause ulcers and abscess, injury with a tooth brush for example on the gums, injury from food sticking in a gum, a burn from hot food even, so going to a dentist logically increases the risk of injury and infection given that this is a place where drills, grinders, needles, scrapers and polishers are used frequently it often results in the onset of infection! My wife and I go for regular check ups and have noted on numerous occasions an infection, ulcer and yes even an abscess (which was due to Bad dentistry) have been experienced.

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/04/2008 15:36:57 »
From http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcArticles.nsf/pages/Mouth_ulcers?OpenDocument:

Mouth ulcers can be caused by a wide range of factors including:
Accidental biting of the cheek.
Injury from a toothbrush (such as slipping while brushing).
Constant rubbing against misaligned or sharp teeth.
Constant rubbing against dentures or braces.
Poor oral hygiene.
Burns from eating hot food.
Irritation from strong antiseptics, such as a mouthwash.
Oral thrush infection.
Herpes simplex viral infection (cold sore).
Reaction to certain drugs, such as chemotherapeutic agents.
Autoimmune diseases (for example, lichen planus).
Syphilis infection.
A range of other infections including hand-foot-mouth syndrome.
Certain diseases including tuberculosis, AIDS, diabetes mellitus and inflammatory bowel disease.
Cancer of the lip.

I remember getting them somewhat frequently when my adult teeth were erupting, I suppose because they probably had sharper edges then (?). The other cause I've found, at least for myself, is lollipops and hard boiled lollies...[shudders]...hurty! :(

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/04/2008 18:58:29 »
Pear drops and pineaple chunks and worthers originals manage to do it for me :)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/04/2008 19:32:42 »
"BC it is common sense that tells us that injury can cause ulcers and abscess, injury with a tooth brush for example on the gums, injury from food sticking in a gum, a burn from hot food even, so going to a dentist logically increases the risk of injury and infection given that this is a place where drills, grinders, needles, scrapers and polishers are used frequently it often results in the onset of infection! My wife and I go for regular check ups and have noted on numerous occasions an infection, ulcer and yes even an abscess (which was due to Bad dentistry) have been experienced"
It's common sense that more ulcers are due to the causese that you mention that are more common. Dentisrty is relatively rare so it causese relatively few ulcers.

Ulcers are not usually the result of dentistry by either interpretation. Most ulscers occur without dentistry and most dentistry occurs without ulcers.

Your assertion "These abscess are usually the result of going to the dentist in the first place." simply isn't true.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23/04/2008 09:13:33 »
In my case it is true

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23/04/2008 19:17:19 »
Sadly we live in a world where the majority of people don't have access to a dentist so, in most cases, it isn't.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/04/2008 21:35:22 »
I will take your point on the fact that the majority of people dont get mouth ulcers from the dentist, if you agree that injury to the mouth and risk of resulting ulcer increases due to dentistry, which incidentally is what I wanted to say but appear to have drawn BC into a argument about what I wrote and What I meant to say. I meant to say these ulcers (I am talking about that we have personal experience with are the direct result of dentistry. My Brother also experienced ulcers and much worse as a direct result of a hamfisted dentist!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 27/04/2008 21:35:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums