The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do birds reproduce?  (Read 16550 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How do birds reproduce?
« on: 13/04/2008 17:29:46 »
I don't think they do it like us humans or another animal..and I don't think they do it like fish since they ain't in water..So how is it done?

another_someone

How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2008 20:38:37 »
The obvious bit is that birds lay eggs, and the eggs develop outside of their body (mammals do the same, but the eggs remain inside the body until the embryo is ready to face the cold world - this would not work for birds for the simple reasons that pregnant birds would have trouble flying).

A male birds does need to fertilise the egg while it is still inside the female (this is the same as reptiles, but different from most fishes).  I don't believe male birds have penises, but have to rub themselves against the females sexual organs to allow the sperm to flow across from the male to the female (no doubt there will be others who can describe it in better detail than I).

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2008 23:48:43 »
Hum

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2008 08:25:22 »
I don't think they do it like us humans...

You mean the male bird doesn't take the girlie bird out to dinner, fill her with wine & alcopops, then back to his place for some quick jolliness?

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2008 10:36:40 »
During the act of copulation in the bird, the male’s copulatory organ everts to allow it to deposit sperm in the female’s cloaca. The phallus is a well-developed version of the male organ (similar to a penis, but not in a strict sense) that swells up with fluid and protrudes from the body. This is present in the duck, emu, and ostrich. It is easy to see the large phallus of a male duck (probably among the more renowned rapists of the bird world), still protruding for a period after the coitus (the businessy bit). In other species, the male’s cloaca is partially everted to perform this role instead. Fertilisation occurs within the female’s internal reproductive tract.

Coitus itself may only last a few seconds (longer or shorter depending on the species) and usually occurs while the male is mounted on the female’s back. In the sparrow I think (don’t quote me), the male flies past behind the presenting female from the right (the female’s ovary and oviduct are on the left) and coitus is completed without the male ever stopping in his flight.

Not really related, but an interesting story I was told…There was a resident female rainbow lorikeet (a species of parrot) living in a cage in a vet practice. One year, a male scaly-breasted lorikeet (different species) came in through the window to visit her (awww :P). He brought with him a piece of food he’d collected from outside. They mated through the cage bars and he flew away. The rainbow lorikeet later laid a clutch of eggs. The male wasn’t seen again until the next year, when the same thing happened. He returned with more gifts, they mated, she produced a clutch of eggs and he disappeared for another year. :)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2008 13:14:59 »
I don't think they do it like us humans...

You mean the male bird doesn't take the girlie bird out to dinner, fill her with wine & alcopops, then back to his place for some quick jolliness?

yes exactly ha

thanks squarish

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2008 23:33:10 »
So what exactly is going on when they are like flying and chasing eachother?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2008 05:03:21 »
Depends on the species of the bird. Display, bonding, courtship a lot of things.

But the answer to the main question is simple. Birds reproduce sexually.

See Cloacae in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloacae

The Naked Scientists Forum

How do birds reproduce?
« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2008 05:03:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums