The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a way to know if someone is allergic to penicillin?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
I ask this as a result of the MMR/autism thread; it got me wondering.

Is there a way to ascertain whether a person can take penicillin without actually giving it to them?

Most adults will know whether they are penicillin-intollerant. But what about young kids? Are they just given it in the hope they'll be OK with it?
« Last Edit: 15/04/2008 09:53:40 by chris »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Is there a way to know if someone is allergic to penicillin?
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2008 12:51:49 »
Been with my wife for approximately 23 years when we discovered she was allergic to P after going into anaphylactic shock, almost losing her life had it not been for the quick thinking of a friend who just happened to call at my home and discover my wife was in dire trouble. She had a jab in her arm which caused yet another allergic reaction, finally becoming stable. I am not aware of any non life threatening tests that could be done to determine whether a person is allergic to Penicillin.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2008 23:33:15 »
Thank you, Andrew.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2008 08:47:27 »
Doc,you are most welcome. I have been told that merely touching some dust from amoxycylin against my wife’s lips could set off another attack and since she has already had an A Shock, the next one is going to be more severe and rapid (don't think that is possible as the last one was near fatal) Judes older sister had am A Shock after pretending to take some medicine to help her toddler granddaughter take her medicine, the spoon touched her lips and she collapsed in the town centre within minutes and was rushed to hospital. She did not know that the medicine contained penicillin.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2008 08:53:17 »
This case was presented for discussion at the grand round of the Medical Department of King Abdul Aziz University Hospital. Differential diagnoses were discussed, including sudden arrhythmias, septic shock and other types of shock. Based on the available evidence, it was felt that the most likely diagnosis was severe anaphylactic reaction secondary to the penicillin skin test with a tragic fatal outcome.
http://www.emro.who.int/Publications/emhj/0602/45.htm

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2008 08:53:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length