The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Neutrino mass  (Read 5756 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neutrino mass
« on: 15/04/2008 12:17:13 »
The rest mass of Neutrinos has proved very elusive to pin down and very mysterious as to why it should be so small.
Is there any chance that the forthcoming inauguration of the LHC will enable a better estimate to be made from the present value of 0.3 ev
« Last Edit: 15/04/2008 14:19:56 by syhprum »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2008 08:20:38 »
I am surprised that correspondents have as yet shown no interest in these little critters, recent theorizing has suggested without them we would not be here and despite their small size they control vast amounts of power.

blakestyger

Neutrino mass
« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2008 11:40:24 »
Could it be that everybody is concentrating upon neutralinos - a favourite for Dark Matter?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2008 17:54:24 »
I am surprised that correspondents have as yet shown no interest in these little critters, recent theorizing has suggested without them we would not be here and despite their small size they control vast amounts of power.

It's not that I have no interest; exactly the opposite. Unfortunately my knowldege of the subject is very limited and I am unable to answer the question. I am waiting for someone more knowledgeable than I to reply.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2008 18:41:37 »
In my hunt for information on Neutrinos I came upon two surprising facts, When a large star collapses into a supernova the energy emitted in the form of Neutrinos is greater than that emitted as electromagnetic radiation.
Also the energy emitted from a nuclear power plant is about 250MW which would frighten the life out of any environmentalists living nearby

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2008 07:58:10 »

Also the energy emitted from a nuclear power plant is about 250MW which would frighten the life out of any environmentalists living nearby

Emitted how?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Neutrino mass
« Reply #6 on: 23/04/2008 00:05:47 »
Lots of weak interaction processes release neutrinos and fission reactors use lots of these.  The neutrinos completely ignore the screening, the earth and even the sun as they escape from the reactor.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #7 on: 23/04/2008 23:13:37 »
They don't do any harm, though, do they.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Neutrino mass
« Reply #8 on: 23/04/2008 23:18:15 »
They just don't interact so they can't do any harm or good

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2008 23:40:06 »
That's what I meant. I was wondering why environmentalists would be worried about them. Then again, they worry about everything that isn't growing.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neutrino mass
« Reply #10 on: 24/04/2008 04:01:38 »
On the original topic: I don't know of any plans to use the LHC to do neutrino experiments yet.   The cutting edge neutrino experiments are using some of the beams at Fermilab.  There might be new information on neutrino mass gained there, however.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Neutrino mass
« Reply #11 on: 24/04/2008 16:38:48 »
The mass of a neutrino has to be very small to account for it's speed.  Experimental evidence suggests that if neutrinos do not travel at 'c' the difference between their speed and 'c' is too small to see - it's smaller than the degree of error in the observations.  However, an observed phenomenon known as neutrino flavour oscillation requires mass to occur, which is a very compelling arguement for speed < c and mass > 0.

Neutrinos are abundant in the universe and don't need something like the LHC to create and study them.  One of the most famous experimental sources of neutrinos was supernova 1987a, 168000 light years away, where all the detected neutrinos from the event arrived within a very short period of time, when compared with the distance and time over which they travelled, and was one of the observations that showed that the speed of a neutrino was too close to 'c' to tell the difference.

The LHC is going to be more preoccupied with chasing down the Higgs Boson.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Neutrino mass
« Reply #11 on: 24/04/2008 16:38:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums