The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do teeth heal?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
Do teeth heal?
« on: 15/04/2008 22:23:24 »
The Thursday before Easter (Maundy Thursday) I realised I had lost a large chunk of filling out of one of my rear molars.   As it was in the evening, prior to the Easter break, I decided to wait until the following Tuesday to phone the dentist.

When I phoned on Tuesday 25th March the receptionist said the dentist couldn't do my tooth until 8th April.      I panicked, wondering what would happen with a tooth left that long.   8th April dawned and I didn't feel too well - I felt as if I had a cold and just did not feel like having anything done to my tooth!   I phoned the dentist's receptionist up and cancelled the appointment - as I was having a check up anyway today it was left that the dentist would then decifr today what needed doing.     

With some apprehension I arrived at the dentist's and entered his room (I normally don't mind going as the practice is geared towards making our visit as "pleasant" as possible - with soft furnishings and background music plus a jolly dentist!

He peered into my mouth - after the usual peering and prodding he sent me to have my mouth X-rayed with one of those machiens which do right round the jaw (I can't cope with those things which they stick in one's mouth!).    After a while of waiting in the waiting room I was asked by the receptionist/nurse to go with her into Reception.     She said "see you in six months' time - everyting is fine"!    My jaw dropped - "What about that tooth?" I said.    "It is fine on the X-ray - look!" (She showed me the X-ray - which didn't mean a lot to my uneducated eye)    Apparently, the dentist has decided to do a "watch" on that tooth and he will look at it again in October!

I left with the question "Do teeth heal".    After all, if broken bones in other parts of the body heal why not teeth?    Have dentists been too drill happy in the past - my molars are full of fillings!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Do teeth heal?
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2008 22:54:20 »
He's obviously a clever dentist; he's making sure you'll turn up in 6 months time; then he can charge for your appointment again. Guaranteed money. If he'd patched you up at the first appointment there's no guarantee you'd go back in 6 months, so potential loss of income.

Do I sound cynical...?

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
Do teeth heal?
« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2008 23:00:26 »
Thanks, Chris, for your reply.    However, I have been going to him for at least 15-20 years! (I have forgotten the year I started with him - i went to his business partner before that)

I would have gone to him anyway - perhaps it is a new form of dentistry?   It would be good if it was! ;D

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Do teeth heal?
« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2008 07:11:17 »
I'm pretty sure that I heard on Animal Planet's "The Most Extreme" that saliva contains a chemical or chemicals that helps to heal enamel that is worn away by the acid from bacteria.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Do teeth heal?
« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2008 08:44:22 »
I don't think enamel really heals, but possibly the exposed surface below hardens as a result of exposure.  I chipped one of my front teeth years ago on the edge of a swimming pool (probably about 15-16 years ago).  The chip is still there, though with time it became less sensitive. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Do teeth heal?
« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2008 08:44:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums