The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A new theory of humor  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Baz

• First timers
    • View Profile
A new theory of humor
« on: 16/04/2008 00:34:16 »
Humor research has been handicapped by the lines of approached applide by thinkers from antiquity to the present day. The main one being, using the word "humor" on a neurological level when it is merely a construct that has a vague, general meaning only applicable in cultural intercourse.

I have posted an essay on a Google Page: Laughing and crying as displacement activities: the implications for humor theory.

Go to the site below, scroll down until you see the elephant and blind men, and click on "A new theory of humor".

newbielink:http://www.humorlinks.com/cgi-bin/sites/page.cgi?g=Academic%2Findex.html&d=1&imp=yes [nonactive]

I have attempted to show that viewing laughter as a displacement activity (defined in the essay) and explaining why it is confusing to use the term humor in certain contexts, answers the major problems encountered by humor researchers.

I think you will enjoy the read.

Basil

sooyeah

A new theory of humor
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2008 19:38:44 »
I didnīt read it I will admit, I did glance through it. If I ever get the time to spend to read through it I will.

Humor is a strange one, I find the funniest things are unexpected, new, different, But always silly. :)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
A new theory of humor
« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2008 22:15:13 »
My sense of hunour is somewhat warped. I know you'll find that hard to believe, but it's true  :P

sooyeah

A new theory of humor
« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2008 14:08:23 »
I didnīt read it I will admit, I did glance through it. If I ever get the time to spend to read through it I will.

Humor is a strange one, I find the funniest things are unexpected, new, different, But always silly. :)

I actually tried to read it; but I couldn't stop laughing. So needless I didn't read it. Take two.

"What's the point in a joke only you two get Andy?"

"It's funny George"

It's all here baz:-
« Last Edit: 17/06/2008 13:35:21 by JOLLY »

sooyeah

A new theory of humor
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2008 13:36:04 »
BAZ, I Do however, think you should watch this before you continue:

Offline 5nutjob

• View Profile
A new theory of humor
« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2010 08:44:20 »
Obviously humour is a evolutionary plus;- allowing us to deal with infernal life issues and is analogous to the sex orgasm .... natures reward, not for procreation; but, merely a pleasurable 'gift' for recognition between seemingly dissimilar things, which is like, astoundingly beneficial for survival and general holistic comprehension.

The Naked Scientists Forum

A new theory of humor
« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2010 08:44:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums