The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Help !...why does my external hard drive not display on my laptop ?  (Read 10381 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
*mumbling, despairing, *

Dear Readers Of Geek Speak, *le sigh et le sulk*

see this external hard drive ?

Notice how it IS lit ?...it also makes the computer go " Bing-Boing" when connected and diconnected but for some strange reason it does not seem to be recognized anymore !!

It's not there in  ' My Computer '...and not seen in 'Explorer '......the lead is fine....it works with my camera which is why ewe can see the picture.

There is *erhmmm* very valuable data *cough cough* on that hard disk !!

It DOES have a power port to add a power supply to but I've never needed it before...do you think this might be it ?

Any hints, tips or just words of sympathy would be most welcome.

Ta

Neil
Frustrated External Hard Disk Enquirer

another_someone

Have you tried connecting some other device to that same USB port (ideally a USB pen drive, which should look similar to a disk drive to the system)?

Offline Raven

• View Profile
You could try connecting it to a different computer to see if that computer sees it or not then you would know if it is a problem specific to the drive or the pc.  Check the cables really well and possibly try a different cable.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
First I would try it with an external power supply attached and also do the above.

To be honest its better to be running it that way especially if you have several usb devices plugged in at once as there is less drain on the pc power supply. As another_someone says a pen drive should show up so make sure the port is functioning first.

I have had a set of usb ports malfunction which left me with only 2 and know others who have had the same problem so it may be the usb port. Just to say that to get round the problem I purchased a powered 4 port extension hub for about 12 quid.

As an extreme measure you could boot up a "live" Linux disk and test it that way.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH INDEED . Another Someone, Raven (Welcome) and That Mad Man.

As I have no external power supply for it I whipped it upstairs to the kids computer where ..upon first connecting ...... windows recognized it as a plextor hard drive.....but then later said there was a problem installing it......upon disconnecting and reconnecting again.....it acted the same as my laptop !..ie: "Bing-Boing" but not displayed at all

I guess this means my external hard drive is buggered eh ?

*goes to lament and futilely connects it again to the port on my laptop......eh ?....it's working !!!

I guess it still means there must be something wrong with it yes ?....the connection with the kids pc confirms this eh ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
hpe you are able to fix it!

Offline Raven

• View Profile
Thank you for the welcome!

I have seen many times what you are describing happening being a bad cord that has a minor short in the molded connection area, from all the pulling and pushing I guess it gets a tiny break in the wire. That is why I recommended trying a new cable. The sometimes it works then opps it does not then oh look it works is very typical of that type of problem.

I agree with mad man here
"As an extreme measure you could boot up a "live" Linux disk and test it that way."
Using a linux live-cd to access would be a good idea. However I bet you don't happen to have one laying around? You can quickly download an iso and burn one to cd from newbielink:http://distrowatch.com/ [nonactive]
my personal linux flavors are Mepis7 and Ubuntu7.10 those are the ones I recommend.

Good luck with your drive!

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Try a shorter lead.

Also, try unpluging any other usb devices.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org

When did it stop working? Are you using Windows Vista?

Just a thought, but I believe I heard about a recent Microsoft "security update" (these usually get dispatched on the first/second Tuesday of the month as part of "Windows Update") which inadvertently upset USB memory sticks.

I wonder whether the same issue could affect your drive???

It may not be the cause, but "Updates" causing hardware to apparently fail are not unheard-of, and I have come across some myself. Try some Googling, with you drive make and model.

Have you had any other new USB gadgets connected to your computer recently (ie just before it stopped working) which may have installed conflicting drivers?

Hadn't seen that you'd had it working again!

You don't want to keep using a dodgey cable though, as this could well cause data corruption and more problems.
« Last Edit: 18/04/2008 21:00:02 by techmind »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank you for the welcome!

I have seen many times what you are describing happening being a bad cord that has a minor short in the molded connection area, from all the pulling and pushing I guess it gets a tiny break in the wire. That is why I recommended trying a new cable. The sometimes it works then opps it does not then oh look it works is very typical of that type of problem.

I agree with mad man here
"As an extreme measure you could boot up a "live" Linux disk and test it that way."
Using a linux live-cd to access would be a good idea. However I bet you don't happen to have one laying around? You can quickly download an iso and burn one to cd from http://distrowatch.com/
my personal linux flavors are Mepis7 and Ubuntu7.10 those are the ones I recommend.

Good luck with your drive!

This is wonderful !

THANK YOU Raven

Have never ever tried Linux or Linux orientated goodness and so I may consider myself out of my depth when attempting to do this !...do you make house calls ?

I will muster some chutzpah and be bold !!

Thank you again for this and for corroborating That Mad Mans advice.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Try a shorter lead.

Also, try unpluging any other usb devices.

THANK YOU TURNIPSOCK.

Alas no shorter lead available.....however, I will try unplugging the other USB devices .....Thanks for this....is it worth mentioning that the lead always works well with my digi camera and camcorder ?

Fact is....now that it seems to have found some life I'm on tenterhooks to mess with it.....*shivers as to what to do*

I think it would be wise for me to invest in a new lead anyway as a back up...and perhaps a power supply.....and perhaps a replacement hard drive....then a new laptop and perhaps a new wife.  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

When did it stop working? Are you using Windows Vista?

Just a thought, but I believe I heard about a recent Microsoft "security update" (these usually get dispatched on the first/second Tuesday of the month as part of "Windows Update") which inadvertently upset USB memory sticks.

I wonder whether the same issue could affect your drive???

It may not be the cause, but "Updates" causing hardware to apparently fail are not unheard-of, and I have come across some myself. Try some Googling, with you drive make and model.

Have you had any other new USB gadgets connected to your computer recently (ie just before it stopped working) which may have installed conflicting drivers?

Hadn't seen that you'd had it working again!

You don't want to keep using a dodgey cable though, as this could well cause data corruption and more problems.

THANK YOU TECHMIND.

It stopped working yesterday....but...I admit that it has happened before but would always kick back to life after a few disconnect/reconnect attempts.

I'm using XP PRO.

....no new stuff connected recently..............well...except my USB powered blow up doll....(very easy to install..LOL ;))......OUCH !!...*wifey smaks me*

As mentioned, it does seem to be working at the moment but I won't fall into a security blanket here...I will google as you say and invest in a new lead at the very least !....Oh...and a puncture repair kit !! ;D

Offline jin

• First timers
    • View Profile
is your hard drive make any kind of sound & vibration ?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums