The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Is The Rarest Element/Chemeical On Earth ?  (Read 9259 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Is The Rarest Element/Chemeical On Earth ?
« on: 20/04/2008 14:59:29 »
Dear Rareologists,

Will ewe steak a look at Daisy here ?

She's a rare beauty indeed !!.....

Though she is rare......I believe there are even rarer things here on Earth !

So, What is the rarest Chemical/Element/Thing on this planet of ours ?...and how little of it is there ?

Ta !

Hmmm....... *le delish*

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2008 16:12:11 »
Now, what is a sheep doing eating a cow? I suppose it must be better than eating a sheep.

First question - what do you mean by rare?

There are some things that exist throughout the Earth, but in very low densities, being very thinly spread, while other things may be rarer when taken in aggregate, but happen to be concentrated in small areas, so once you find where they are concentrated, they become easy to extract.

I suppose in the extreme, the rarest elements would be some of the more extreme transuranic elements, which are generally only created in nuclear reactors.

If one is talking about molecular chemicals, then the range of possible chemicals that could theoretically be created by never have been created (either in vitro or in vivo) must be endless.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2008 16:37:56 »
Astatine (At) is there rarest element, they reckon there's about a teaspoon worth in all of the earths crust.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2008 21:42:11 »
Now, what is a sheep doing eating a cow? I suppose it must be better than eating a sheep.

First question - what do you mean by rare?

There are some things that exist throughout the Earth, but in very low densities, being very thinly spread, while other things may be rarer when taken in aggregate, but happen to be concentrated in small areas, so once you find where they are concentrated, they become easy to extract.

I suppose in the extreme, the rarest elements would be some of the more extreme transuranic elements, which are generally only created in nuclear reactors.

If one is talking about molecular chemicals, then the range of possible chemicals that could theoretically be created by never have been created (either in vitro or in vivo) must be endless.

Gosh !!..me...a sheepy having to explain what rare means to George !...

OK....stop fiddling and listen up !.....erhmmmm.......well...what I meant by ' rare ' I think may have been answered by Madidus_Scientia...in that I was referring to quantity !..ie: a bona fide ' thing ' that exists on earth but in the most minutest of quantities (not including my IQ)

I realise I might have applied some levity here to my response to you Mr George but I do understand the premise of your queries and I thank you for your response

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2008 21:44:38 »
Astatine (At) is there rarest element, they reckon there's about a teaspoon worth in all of the earths crust.

ooooh...ohhhh...that IS rare !!

thank you Madidus_Scientia

Wow....just a teaspoon eh ?......that's rarer than Daisy was !!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2008 11:24:29 »
Why is it so rare? Is it because it's radioactive?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2008 13:02:23 »
Good Point Chris.....I have an idea...you should do a radio show where you can deal with questions like these ! ;) ::)

Does Astatine serve any purpose then ?.....and I am NOT suggesting that something must exist to serve a purpose but I expect the Earth would get along quite well without it.

I wonder if it exists in large quantities elsewhere !

Offline benep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/04/2008 17:53:54 »
i can imagine diamonds becoming extremely rare later on in years to come the biggest diamond is about the size of the fist of a fully grown adult

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2008 10:43:11 »
Correct chris, it only occurs temporarily from the decay of uranium, it breaks down rapidly because it has a half life of only about 8 hours 20 minutes.

Here's a wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astatine

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/04/2008 20:46:37 »
People make diamonds but they seldom destroy them. Diamonds are, therefore, becoming less rare.

Offline advaith

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2008 13:48:03 »
Astatine is the rarest element in the earth's crust but it is not the rarest overall.
Meitnerium, relatively new element, synthesised in 1982 (I think) is the rarest.
In the beginning when chemists created it, the isotope had very short half-life (less than a sec) and so they could not isolate it. Today scientists have been able to isolate one isotope of Meitnerium (which I think has half life of half an hour). Meitnerium (Mt, I think) is not yet produced elsewhere other than laboratories since not a lot about Mt is known. Only a few atoms of Mt are said to exist in the world. Scientists keep creating minute quantities (3-5 atoms) to study them. (And remember they have only about half an hour to study them!)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2008 13:48:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums