The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Am going slightly mad  (Read 8857 times)

Offline Claire

• View Profile
Am going slightly mad
« on: 13/10/2004 18:55:13 »
Well some of you guys may or may not know that I am a law student and have been looking for a training contract for a while now. Guys I need to rant now so bear with me!!!!

For the last two years - since doing a weeks work experience - I have been in touch with a local firm who have consistently made positive noises about me possibily doing a trainging contract. They have asked me to ring the, write to them, send them my CV etc.. all at various points over the last year. In response, in March I sent my letter of application and CV. I then heard nothing for about 2 months. After prompting emails they offered me 2 weeks work over the summer. Excited, I embarked on this in August and loved the place. I fitted in, got on with everyone, and only live 2 minutes up the road.

Then manager told me they had had a dozen speculative applications (training contract hadn't even been advertised) and the partner told me the manager would contact me soon to tell me what was happening. Again I heard nothing for 2 weeks. After more prompting emails, I am invited for an interview despite one partner having previously said there was no point interviewing me as they know me any way. Interview turns out to be the day of our friends funeral so I summon up the courage to ask to move the interview date. Manager schedules it for the next day so I hot foot it down from Essex rather than staying to comfort my boyfriend and attend an interview the next day which lasts all of 20 minutes. 'We'll let you know next week' was the promise. Oh and by the way they happened to mantion that they had interviewed one of these speculative applicant the day before. Great, thanks a lot. This was over a week ago. Today I get an email from the manager saying that now they want me and the other applicant to do an online psychometric test. No warning was given at the interview, this test is not controlled so other applicant could get any one to complete it and whether i get the damn job seems to now depend on it.

Am I right to be absolutely fuming? I am trying to decide whether to write to them and tell them to stuff it - in more polite terms. i now don't feel I can work for someone who has treated me so badly but its the only chance I have had of a training contract so far.They are also in breach of some Law Society Regulations.

Does any one have any lawyer friends who can get me a job?

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Re: Am going slightly mad
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2004 19:52:44 »
to be honest, if you don't get it i wouldn't get upset about it, they seem like teh most disorganised bunch of idiots on the planet - do you want to be like them in 10 years?

as for putting off the interview for just the day after a funeral, well i guess its better than the same afternoon, but not by much!

are you applying for other jobs? stupid question I know, but even though you loved the place when you were there for two weeks doesn't mean you'll be able to stand the beurocracy for long as a full time permanent member of staff!

This kind of thing happened to my husband about a month ago, to be honest the job wasn't the greatest, but he could do it (with his eyes closed, one arm behind his back and standing on his head) and it was just up the road. all the noises they made, plus the standard of the other candidates, implied he would get the job. they said he'd be told immediately after the interview. two weeks later they rejected him, no reason. but after all the mucking around we decided he could probably do without the stress of working for these people.

In my job hunting experience I've been turned down for pathetic reasons, possibly even because my surname may have began with a letter too far down the alphabet for all I know, but its always turned out right in the end. and the jobs that I've desparately wanted but didn't get have always turned out to be hell holes for the person that did get it - lucky escapes for me!

good luck anyway!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2004 22:45:16 »
They are just taking the p*ss, its a bloody joke!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2004 00:19:51 »
Tell them to take their job and stick it up their arse !!..it's THEIR loss....

I tell you....my faith in the 'legal world' is so established right now *extreme sarcy mode to the max*

....and Lindsay is so right Claire....one thing you're gonna (unfortunately)have to get used to is the recuitment process that some stupid human resouces departments come up with......treat it as character building and gain experience from it....think ...if this is how they recruit people,it could be indicative of how they run their business.... then you really don't wanna work for them......(they'll probably offer you the bloody job now !!)....so toughen that skin and rise above it !!...

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2004 00:49:28 »
Wait, I interviewed for a job at a law firm to do legal medical review of their charts.  I didn't get it cause I couldn't type fast enough.  I'm not quite sure what that had to do with legal medical review.  I thought they had secretaries there for that.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2004 00:03:12 »
Well Claire this is a good experience for you to remember...it's how most lawyers treat their clients.  I worked for a law firm and would estimate that about 2% of the lawyers were decent folk like yourself.

They may also be pushing to see how far they can go before they hit your boundary.  Stick up for yourself in a polite, diplomatic way.  You're a bright girl, you'll figure it out.  Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Donnah

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/10/2004 13:16:11 »
Thanks for the advice guys! Everyone I have told has said something along the lines of  'bunch of w**kers'. I handed in a letter this morning withdrawing my application. Have that!

Feeling pretty damn good now. Have got loads of other job leads and I know I'll be ok.

xxxx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2004 13:29:49 »
Good on you Claire....especially as you have gained strength of experience from it....good luck (hugs)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 18/10/2004 13:49:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Claire
Today I get an email from the manager saying that now they want me and the other applicant to do an online psychometric test. No warning was given at the interview, this test is not controlled so other applicant could get any one to complete it and whether i get the damn job seems to now depend on it.

Presumably the same applies to yourself - you could, for instance, ask one of the well-balanced individuals on this forum to complete the psychometric assessment on your behalf ;)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/10/2004 15:28:06 »
they'll probably wish they offered you the job now, because you've shown them that you won't be pushed around. presumably a good quality in a lawyer? good luck with the other applications.

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/10/2004 18:36:50 »
"Presumably the same applies to yourself - you could, for instance, ask one of the well-balanced individuals on this forum to complete the psychometric assessment on your behalf "

Well exactly! That shows what a nonscence it is. Had I done that and then got turned down I would have been REALLY peed off.

Offline Bin Laden

• Hide n Seek Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18/10/2004 19:03:04 »
**** those ****ers!

I am planning a jihad, a holy war against these non believers!
i taste blood, my weapon firmly in hand!

catch me if you can!
« Last Edit: 18/10/2004 19:03:52 by Bin Laden »

Offline GOD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/10/2004 19:13:43 »
and i shall command unto them a plague of litigation writs such that their sphincterus anus be occupied by them. Praise unto me.

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!

Offline Bin Laden

• Hide n Seek Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18/10/2004 19:19:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by GOD

and i shall command unto them a plague of litigation writs such that their sphincterus anus be occupied by them. Praise unto me.

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!

For this once an understanding may exist between us God, you may not be the one true GOD ALLAH, but you have shown your powers of law when i slipped on mountain goat dung in my cave. I rung you at fraudsdirect to claim against the Pakistani government for allowing such animals into the mountains on a no win no fee basis. I was awarded 5 compensation and you took the rest. Peace be upon you at this time of need and may Allah have mercy upon you.

Let us unite against the common evil of snotty anal solicitorsand aid the infidel Claire in her wishes.

catch me if you can!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/10/2004 02:25:37 »
quote:

Thanks for the advice guys! Everyone I have told has said something along the lines of  'bunch of w**kers'. I handed in a letter this morning withdrawing my application. Have that!

Feeling pretty damn good now. Have got loads of other job leads and I know I'll be ok.

xxxx

Excellent!  Girl, you've got balls.

Offline Raedon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22/10/2004 04:56:19 »
quote:

Well some of you guys may or may not know that I am a law student and have been looking for a training contract for a while now. Guys I need to rant now so bear with me!!!!

good luck.  

Life is about controlling variables.. some of these are free radicals and their random behavor can effect your life. Remove the random variables.

Do not look to "us" just get it done.. it's no big deal.

It is good to be alive! It's impossible I'm here but here I am.. and I rock!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #16 on: 22/10/2004 16:42:50 »
quote:
Well exactly! That shows what a nonscence it is. Had I done that and then got turned down I would have been REALLY peed off.

Claire - just make sure they don't give you a spelling test on the application ;)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/10/2004 21:06:00 »
Yeh I know, I'm not the best speller. I'm always having problems with my worms.

Offline Raedon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22/10/2004 23:29:13 »
quote:

I'm always having problems with my worms.

It is good to be alive! It's impossible I'm here but here I am.. and I rock!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24/10/2004 13:47:13 »
quote:

its how she keeps her figure! ;)

Offline Raedon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24/10/2004 22:12:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

quote:

its how she keeps her figure! ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20 on: 24/10/2004 22:12:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums