The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can men run out of semen?  (Read 18269 times)

paul.fr

Can men run out of semen?
« on: 23/04/2008 15:38:06 »
Women run out of eggs, but can men run out of semen?
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 00:19:05 by chris »

another_someone

Re: Can men run out of semen?
« Reply #1 on: 23/04/2008 16:28:55 »
Sperm is continually produced throughout a man's life (although the rate of production may decline later in life).  By contrast, all the eggs a woman has throughout her life will already have been produced by the time she is born.

That having been said, as far as I am aware, most women do not actually run out of eggs, insofar as most women enter their menopause before they have exhausted their egg supply.

Offline Vcoolspice

• Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/04/2008 16:57:59 »
I don't think males can run out, they may have a 'dry' period, but males continue to produce semen until 1) they die, or 2) They recieve a reproductive disease (ex cancer)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2008 07:56:53 »
Does any one know how long (hours/minutes/days??) it'll take to fill up the sperm bank after it has been emptied?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2008 07:59:41 »
Also, is it true that the sperm carrying the Y chromosome will swim faster than the sperm carrying the X chromosome? But they'll survive for a shorter period of time?

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2008 22:44:38 »
There's more where that came from.
?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2008 22:54:08 »
Does any one know how long (hours/minutes/days??) it'll take to fill up the sperm bank after it has been emptied?

That would depend on how many people and how big the storage capacity of the bank is.
A male could conceivably (ha) ejaculate  six to eight times in one day .. though the sperm quality and quantity would decrease so only the first may be viable for donation.

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 15/12/2008 20:49:06 »
Remember, "it is more blessed to give than to receive".

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/12/2008 00:17:35 »
Sperm is continually produced throughout a man's life (although the rate of production may decline later in life).  By contrast, all the eggs a woman has throughout her life will already have been produced by the time she is born.

That having been said, as far as I am aware, most women do not actually run out of eggs, insofar as most women enter their menopause before they have exhausted their egg supply.

I agree.. unless there is an unusually low number produced in the womb, there are more than enough follicles made.  Women who use IVF have their ovaries stimulated to produce more follicles than 'normal' (eg 1) though there is no evidence that, even after many attempts, they run out or enter menopause early.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2008 00:21:04 »
There's more where that came from.
?
I'm not sure what you mean???

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2008 00:21:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines