The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Photographic Memory  (Read 9373 times)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Photographic Memory
« on: 30/04/2003 19:07:46 »
Being as its exam time for me :( i thought id ask - Is it possible to have a photographic memory?

Also, anyone got any tips on revision?
Maybe we could have a part of the site dedicated to revision advice.

Essentia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: Photographic Memory
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2003 20:50:31 »
Of course is possible to have a photographic memory although I don't think myself have.

Have you seen people remembering a long list of objects in a short time? I think they did it by remember things as pictures, as your brain are better at remember colourful pictures rather than black and white writings.

I'm having exams soon as well and for me, going through past papers(don't think uni works this way); and teaching my brother stuffs are good ways of revising for me.

AG

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2003 21:48:11 »
I think memory is something that you can 'learn'. Once you identify a strategy that works for you, you merely apply it to learn and remember whatever you want. Crucially don't be mislead by other peoples' methods - work out what works for you and apply that method always.

Chris

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2003 23:56:04 »
I met a woman with photographic memory.  She could read a page in less than a minute and then tell you anything that was on it.

I used to have a phenomenal memory.  I didn't need an address book or grocery list and packed everything for surgical teams leaving the country without missing a beat.  I could meet groups of people and tell you everyone's name.  Mercury poisoning almost killed my memory, but it has come back to an acceptable level.  Now I use keywords, pictures (as cuso4 suggests) or create acronyms to remember people and things.  This leads me to believe that there's more plasticity in the brain than is suspected, and that (as Chris suggests), memory can be "learned".

Use it or lose it!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2003 00:12:39 »
Well i learn by writing it down in a more readable format then continue to read it. Pictures or diagrams i can place in my memory by looking at them for a period, when i then think of them i can see them in my brain and pretty much copy them from that. Still a little rusty at it and need more practice as the image i see isn't completely clear, be good when i perfect it, might start learning things as pictures, then i'd be sorted.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2003 18:24:55 »
Let me know when you get "sorted".  I'm still refining it after 47 years, and my grandmother said that at 103 years of age she was still working on it too.

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/2003 23:18:28 »
cuso:
Have you seen people remembering a long list of objects in a short time? I think they did it by remember things as pictures, as your brain are better at remember colourful pictures rather than black and white writings.

Nope, remembering things with meanings cements it in your brain for longer :p
If the picture of the black squigle is one path of neurones joined together, and the meaning is another path, if one path gets cut and you forget it, there's the other path ... that's why inventing stories about pictures/words you have to try to remember helps you to ... because it makes more neurone-paths and is like insurance against if one gets cut.

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/05/2003 08:11:55 »
Ahh.. OK. thanks Quantumcat and call me AG or Angel please. I chose 'cuso4' just because I like the blue colour and its chemistry!!

AG

Offline pat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/05/2003 09:48:35 »
Quite funny that we've been calling you copper sulphate !

Copper sulphate is a bit of a washed out blue I always thought. If memory serves correctly, a much nicer colour can be made by adding some ammonia, then a lot more ammonia. Initially the ammonia forms a horrible pale blue complex that is cloudy, then with further ammonia a deep rich dark blue emerges. Try it.

Pat

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/2003 14:40:55 »
Copper sulphate .... reminds me .... of my physics presentation .... due in three weeks ... >_<

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/05/2003 22:01:47 »
Pat, I'd really like to try it but I haven't got the chemicals. I might try to talk my chemistry teacher into letting me use the chemicals.

AG

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/2003 22:40:46 »
Where in the UK are you from ? If in the southeast of England you can hear the naked scientists do a show on BBC Essex on Monday 5th May between 1200-1400. The frequency on FM is 103.5 and 95.3.

Even if you can't tune in you can see us on the BBC Essex webcam in studio 1A at this address http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/essex/webcams.shtml between 12 and 2, and participate by email if you wish : studio@nakedscientists.com

TNS

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/05/2003 04:35:32 »
Don't laugh at me, I'm not much of a computer person, but is it possible to tune into other countries' radio stations over the internet?

Don't laugh at me please !!!!

I wouldn't mind listening to some science radio, the closest thing here is occasionally on Radio National, Karl Kruzelnicki and Adam Spencer do little segments (You know who those guys are, don't you ??)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/05/2003 20:51:02 »
It is possible to listen to radio stations from other countries "streamed" across the internet. We know of no other unique science shows like this so you'll have to stick with naked scientists. You can listen to the shows after they have been done in the site archives as they will be placed on the site a few weeks after the show.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/05/2003 17:35:34 »
Try www.ckua.org if you like a WIDE variety of music.  It's a listener supported station, which is an indication of the popularity level.  They play world music, R&B, folk, country, classical...you name it.  I love it:D.  My favorite is Night Music, hosted by Tony Dillon-Davis.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 04/05/2003 17:35:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums