The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Emergency help required with pigeon chick  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Emergency help required with pigeon chick
« on: 26/04/2008 14:20:22 »
Yes I know it is only a baby pigeon, the rat of the sky, but the cat brought a whole nest through the cat flap on Friday with this little yellow fluffy chick inside. The cat showed no sign of wanting to kill said bundle so I'm left with a baby pigeon calling me mummy and asking for food. So far I've kept it alive with liquidised cat food and cereal mixed with water. It is taking it with a dropper. I'm really ignorant about if this is the correct food, how often and how much I should feed it. I might be able to get help from a wildlife place but they are shut until Monday. I need advice as to what to do so that the little rat with a beak can live until Monday at least.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2008 15:56:52 »
I would definitely try some mashed up berries perhaps some ground worms..kind of mushed.. not too much depending on how old.. I think a pidgeon will eat worms like most birds.. but small amount of mushed up berries... I fed a small baby bird that for many days before being able to get the nest back into the tree....

You might try it.. I really would only give tiny amounts every couple hours.. like an infant.. I want to say that mom may partialy digest and regurgitate the food for the youngster so I think and I am not sure .. but at least grind it up pretty good and be careful of the seed part... maybe mash it through a sieve first to remove the seed....

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2008 16:32:12 »
Should start by saying I'm not an expert in pigeon nutrition (...yet). But I think pigeon chicks from about the 1 week stage would normally get a mixture of wet grain and crop milk, and are weaned by about 21 days onto more solid grain food. Before 1 week, they should ideally only get crop milk (no seed). There are pigeon mixes and formulas available on the market. They generally contain a mix of cereal grains and legumes: maize, oats, wheat, peas, soybean, and safflower seeds. If you have any soybean meal lying around, you could make that into a paste that may be more palatable for a younger bird. I suppose you could try using a blender to makeup a grain slurry if you have those ingredients on hand if the chick is a bit older.  Otherwise the wet cereal may just have to do (depending on the type of cereal of course). Maybe take out the cat food. (and cow's milk is not a suitable replacement for crop milk.)

You're doing well to have the chick feed from a dropper. Some birds will give you no other option than to crop feed. If the dropper becomes too much, you can try sacrificing a metal spoon to make an articial beak. Just hammer (or otherwise) the two sides on the spoon inwards so that they meet at a corner and form the shape of the lower beak of a bird. Well, it works for parrots anyway.

Keep an eye on the temperature of the chick, and make sure it doesn't chill or overheat.

I'm not sure if the wildlife place will treat a pigeon as 'wildlife'...hmm. But good luck with that anyway. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2008 16:59:44 »
Good advice thanks Squarish... It is good to know that!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/04/2008 20:22:12 »
Sorry folks, the little scrap passed away this afternoon. I think I overfed it in one sitting as it seemed to have liquid in its lung. I tried my best and at least it died in a warm place. I've learnt a lot from this experience and if my cat ever does it again I'll have a better idea of how to cope. It was really small and probably not that old at all. Are well!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/04/2008 21:15:41 »
Oh I am sorry the little feller did not make it....

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/04/2008 23:33:37 »
Its a sad story...

When I was a kid we managed to raise a pigeon from a similar situation. It used to wait out side the house until we came out, then would flap its way over and follow us about (it never learnt to fly). It was called 'Squeaky' as it never learnt any pigeon noises and squeaked all the time. We fed it and it was very humanised.

Somebody ran it over.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/04/2008 16:50:51 »
The real motive here is a meal of squab later.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2008 20:36:14 »
I know I would normally eat pigeon, it is delicious but seeing something that small fighting for its life is very humbling. I think the cat that dragged it in is naffed off because we put such a big bell around its neck that it can't catch anything except baby pigeons.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2008 20:36:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums