The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does using an LCD screen make your eyes sore?  (Read 6584 times)

Irene Chen

Irene Chen  asked the Naked Scientists:
Hi,

What causes your eyes to sting and water when you close them after looking at a computer/tv screen?

Thanks! I love your podcast.

Irene
NY, USA
What do you think?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why does using an LCD screen make your eyes sore?
« Reply #1 on: 27/04/2008 15:58:40 »
I think its probably because when you're looking at a computer screen you tend to blink less, so your eyes become dryer than usual, causing the stinging.

Offline changz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/04/2008 16:04:57 »
but when I read books, I don't feel as sore. If it's just the blinking problem, shouldn't books have the same effect?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2008 18:32:01 »
Do you perchance need glasses?  It may be that the distance between the screen and your eye is one where your eyes are having difficulty focussing?

Other problems might the the posture you are sitting at when viewing the screen (your neck or back being at a bad angle), or poor lighting condition (maybe glare from a window or from some other light source reflecting off your screen)?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #4 on: 27/04/2008 20:53:47 »
I agree, wearing glasses can be a problem. The big mistake a lot of people make is using their reading glasses to view a PC screen.

Reading glasses are designed to view stuff at around 12 to 14 inches and its not good viewing a screen at that distance. With the older smaller screens (14 inch size) that was OK as you viewed closer because of size. Ideally you should view it at around double that distance to make comfortable viewing on larger screens.

A tip, keep your old reading glasses if your prescription has changed as they will not be as strong and may make better viewing. You could also buy a cheap ready made pair, just chose them to focus at around 24 inches.

I have to say my optician confirmed that it was a good idea to do that.  ;)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2008 12:26:42 »
but when I read books, I don't feel as sore. If it's just the blinking problem, shouldn't books have the same effect?

when you're reading a book you would tend to hold it at an optimal distance from your eyes where its comfortable for them. But since a monitor is a bit more fixed in place, if you need to squint even slightly this will reduce your blink rate.

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2008 00:32:09 »
I agree, wearing glasses can be a problem. The big mistake a lot of people make is using their reading glasses to view a PC screen.

Reading glasses are designed to view stuff at around 12 to 14 inches and its not good viewing a screen at that distance. With the older smaller screens (14 inch size) that was OK as you viewed closer because of size. Ideally you should view it at around double that distance to make comfortable viewing on larger screens.

A tip, keep your old reading glasses if your prescription has changed as they will not be as strong and may make better viewing. You could also buy a cheap ready made pair, just chose them to focus at around 24 inches.

I have to say my optician confirmed that it was a good idea to do that.  ;)

This is where varifocals are useful - I use the middle bit for looking at my PC screen.   

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2008 00:32:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums