The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can mercury improve antenna performance?  (Read 16924 times)

Offline IGOR.M6

• View Profile
Re: Can mercury improve antenna performance?
« Reply #25 on: 14/01/2012 19:45:28 »
"you realize that if people knew about that property of mercury there would be a chaos in communications systems?"
If it was real then yes, there would be chaos.
And, as I have said, because there is lots of mercury around, people would know about the effect (if it was real).
But there is not chaos.
From this we can logically deduce that the effect is not real.

I dont see any logic in this, i see how youre trying to twist it but i got a counter ignorant logic back, there is bunch of gasoline around, every car is using it, gas stations are every 5 blocks. yes if gasoline was explosive we would definitely know of its effects, since nothing is exploding on daily bases "we can logically deduce that the [explosive] effect is not real"
 conclusion is we are very careful when handle mercury, its not around is, its in expensive lamps which poor aka stupid people dont buy and smart ones know how to handle, they dont sell mercury thermometers anymore in nyc, maybe they do but they become more and more rare, same thing with gasoline we handle it carefully not to spill and catch it on fire, with mercury we arent just afraid to lose a drop, we are far from playing around with it at home, unless of coarse youre stupid.. (objectively)

your logic makes no sense you clearly dont know about its properties and just bluntly throw your scepticism, and laws of physics DO NOT apply here, these are laws of Quantum physics you need in order to understand this, havent u heard scientists discover all kinds of strange qualities of some elements which they havent previously seen?

lets just stop stating what we think we know and try to explore more

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15/01/2012 11:00:05 »
I think at the point where you say
"and laws of physics DO NOT apply here"
you have summed it up nicely.

The fact that we sometimes see petrol explode (and the fact that we use that explosion thousands of times a minute in many car engines) proves that petrol vapour, mixed with air is explosive.
The fact that we never see "Black holes" in radio and TV coverage around mercury filled switches, lamps and such proves that the effect you are talking about doesn't happen. Incidentally, if it did happen, it would make headline news so we would have heard about it.

Incidentally, in case you hadn't noticed, quantum mechanics (also known as quantum physics) is part of physics and the laws that govern quantum behaviour are part of the laws of physics.
I said mercury was interesting- for example, it's a liquid.
That weird behaviour arises from quantum effects.
I'm well aware of them and it seems I understand them better than you do.

" they dont sell mercury thermometers anymore in nyc"
So what?
They used to sell plenty. The mercury hasn't disappeared. It is still there and if it had an effect, that effect would have been spotted. It hasn't.
Re
" its in expensive lamps which poor aka stupid people dont buy"
It's in free light bulbs.
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/04/19/home-depot-to-give-away-compact-fluorescent-bulbs-this-sunday/

Please take more care in future to avoid saying things that are stupidly wrong, or, as you put it
"lets just stop stating what we think we know and try to explore more"

Offline IGOR.M6

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15/01/2012 16:27:50 »
dude please... you think you know more but saying laws of physics when its laws of quantum physics is completely different, laws of physics is gravity acceleration etc, that has NOTHING to do with what i was talking about, i just took physics 2 this Fall semester so dont insult my intelligence by explaining what each of them is, and quantum physics is a part of quantum mechanics, whatever.

How can you say that we never see "black holes" in coverage? do you work on a private or gov company and fix antennas? private companies wont tell their customers im sorry we have a destructive wave of signals in your area, they just go there and look for the cause and eliminate it or at least try to. Well most of the time its just simply destructive interference. This is very rare, and like microwave ovens are made so that microwaves dont escape, same way are made those switches!! corporations are very well aware of that effect!

How antenna works is it has electric field around it, the signals that hit the antenna is another magnetic field! Read about the properties of Mercury, it simply increases the electric field of the antenna BY FAR, and i am talking about an actual antennas that were on the pictures on the first page of this thred, not an electronic switch inside the wall or lamp.

Instead of being wrong and arguing with me, better conduct an experiment.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15/01/2012 17:48:52 »
The laws of physics include those of quantum physics.
If you were studying them this year then I probably learned them before you were born. I have been using them, on and off, on a professional basis for 20 years.
Do you really think you know more about them than I do?

Re. "How can you say that we never see "black holes" in coverage? "
Did you actually read what I said earlier?
The bit where I said " Incidentally, if it did happen, it would make headline news so we would have heard about it." kind of answers your question doesn't it?

" private companies wont tell their customers im sorry we have a destructive wave of signals in your area, they just go there and look for the cause and eliminate it or at least try to. "
Who gives a toss what they tell them.
What you were talking about would have meant a whole lot of people suddenly losing all their signals at the same time.
That would get noticed.
(and, btw, I do work for a government company).
"same way are made those switches!! "
Bollocks- and  I have pulled plenty apart to scavenge the mercury so I do know.
This "How antenna works is it has electric field around it, the signals that hit the antenna is another magnetic field!" is largely wrong too.
"Read about the properties of Mercury"
I have.
" it simply increases the electric field of the antenna BY FAR"
Oh no it doesn't- because to do so would breach the principle of the conservation of energy.
" i am talking about an actual antennas that were on the pictures on the first page of this thred, not an electronic switch inside the wall or lamp. "
yes, but how do they know that?
How does some mercury connected to some wires know that it's part of a thermostat ans so it isn't "allowed" to work in this weird way but the same mercury and the same wire does magic tricks if you label it as an antenna?

"Instead of being wrong and arguing with me, better conduct an experiment."
No, you have fundamentally misunderstood two things here: one is the nature of science.
Since you are making the extraordinary claim, it falls to you to provide the extraordinary evidence.
A video on youtube doesn't count for anything.
The other thing you have missed is that we all have done the experiment.
We all have mercury connected to bits of wires and stuff in our houses- but our TVs and radios still work.

Come back when you have some evidence.
(And, it will probably be better if you write it properly with real sentences, capital letters and suitable punctuation.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15/01/2012 20:07:08 »
Maybe it's something to do with this here amazing property of mercury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Ma6iKLd7g

(Don't try this at home. Mercury is very nasty stuff. If it doesn't kill you, I might well make you crazy.)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15/01/2012 20:38:01 »
Or this one

Offline IGOR.M6

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16/01/2012 00:45:57 »
you do realize that your goal is to disprove everything i say?

how do you know it "would breach principal of conservation of energy?" do you actually know what happens when you electrocute or charge mercury, you know as much as i do but your goal is to disprove it so okay whatever

the stuff im talking about is quite dangerous, you dont find "how to make a self-detonating west for dummies" on the internet either cause this kind of stuff gets filtered, if it was a myth im sure there would be plenty of these on the internet, i tried narrowing it down to impossible got to 500 results and still nothing, the only way to find out more is either by experimenting or going through Russian search engines

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16/01/2012 06:46:45 »
My goal is to find out what the evidence says.
You have not shown any evidence.
Your goal seems to be to see how many things you can say that are simply not true.
There is plenty of stupidly dangerous stuff on the web so it clearly isn't "filtered".
Maybe the reason you can't find it is that it isn't there because it doesn't work.

Oh, BTW re. "do you actually know what happens when you electrocute or charge mercury" yes, I do.
did you not see the vid?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 16/01/2012 06:46:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums