The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: "What the Bleep do we Know?! is garbage  (Read 22875 times)

Offline Elastic

• First timers
    • View Profile
"What the Bleep do we Know?! is garbage
« on: 19/10/2004 21:34:59 »
I am glad I came across the review of the film [u]"What the Bleep do we Know?!"[/u] by Dr. Manjir Samanta-Laughton, because it brought me to your site. I had to check the site to find out if The Naked Scientists were a New Age cult group. Much to my surprise, despite her review, this is a wonderful site. Her review was terrible. It was a totally uncritical review of a new age recruitment film that has twisted quantum mechanics to mean that nothig exists until we perceive it and that if we believe it possible we can walk on water. Your reviewer describes this film as making quantum mechanics understandable to the layperson. I don't think so. I think maybe you might check your columnists a bit more carefully.

Elastic

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: "What the Bleep do we Know?! is garbage
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2004 04:10:57 »
I had a couple of friends of mine try and talk me into seeing this movie.  Having taken a course quantum mechanics, I probed them a bit and realized most of what they were trying to say was complete gibberish.  However, one needs to bear in mind that they are respectively a real estate agent and a massage therapist with no formal training in science.  I couldn't expect them to retain any details.  I plan on seeing this film when it comes to video just to find out if it is indeed with merit or is complete new age garbage.  

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us under such strange circumstances.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People
« Last Edit: 22/10/2004 04:11:27 by Ylide »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2004 09:04:05 »
Thanks elastic.

Of all the columns, this one has created the most feedback. Your's are the first negative comments.

I've not seen the film so don't feel qualified to comment, but I respect your opinion of course. I am therefore wondering if, rather like when I watch a medical or science programme on TV i find myself cringing at the weak bits, whether this is the root of your dislike.

What is your field ?

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback anyway,

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline sleeplessinslo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2005 00:37:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Elastic

I am glad I came across the review of the film [u]"What the Bleep do we Know?!"[/u] by Dr. Manjir Samanta-Laughton, because it brought me to your site. I had to check the site to find out if The Naked Scientists were a New Age cult group. Much to my surprise, despite her review, this is a wonderful site. Her review was terrible. It was a totally uncritical review of a new age recruitment film that has twisted quantum mechanics to mean that nothig exists until we perceive it and that if we believe it possible we can walk on water. Your reviewer describes this film as making quantum mechanics understandable to the layperson. I don't think so. I think maybe you might check your columnists a bit more carefully.

Elastic

Offline sleeplessinslo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2005 00:45:55 »
While the movie "What The Bleep" has some flaws from a science point of view, science of this type is so foreign to most people, that they feel they have to "jazz it up" to keep people interested. My main objection is to the "blessed water" segment which was utter bull****, but the rest of the movie is ok and is designed to start people thinking and exploring.  They do invite viewer not to accept what they say at face value, and check it out against experience.  In my long experience it is largely true.

quote:
Originally posted by Elastic

Elastic

Offline acere

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2005 23:59:20 »
hello all , im new n isaw the video make me kind craze
but i dont believe init, just post what u tink of it if u sawit 2

lisvany

Offline cybermonsters

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/04/2005 08:14:04 »
Please help me. The movie's website, which can be found doing a google search on the movie's name, is currently linking directly to my forum on Religious Science. It is the last link on the bottom of the links page.

I have a thread running to refudiate the movie and already have a statement from a Math Professor at Columbia University.

I ask mercy from the admins for being a newbie and posting info on another site. It is very rare to have a scam like this link directly to a source than can counter it.

If you have a physics background PLEASE add whatever info you can to debunk it. This movie is spreading like wild fire in new thought circles.

Offline vballprncss

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whatthebleepphoenix.com
« Reply #7 on: 23/04/2005 08:57:04 »
I started a what the bleep discussion group in PHOENIX, ARIZONA. We meet once a month at Cafe Fiat downtown. If you are interested in attending, you can go to our website at newbielink:http://www.whatthebleepphoenix.com [nonactive] for details and to download the study guide, provided directly by WTB.

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/04/2005 03:17:31 »
with the right pair of shoes you could walk on water...

Offline mattycc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/03/2006 13:31:44 »
WHAT?!?

Do you not think that nobel prizes would be showered on a researcher that discovered that water labelled with different emotions forms pretty crystalline shapes?? Yet I haven't heard of any such accolades being handed out to any of the kooks that feature in this tawdry drivel.

As this supposed amazing discovery is offered as proof of the theories that are postulated throughout this docu-fantasy should we not be asking 'what the bleep do they know? if anything!!'

Offline harryneild

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/03/2006 20:22:49 »
To see the video you can visit this link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618

I personally thought it was allright in that it makes people more interested than if it was on paper, however i can see how people with no past knowledge could get the wrong idea with the water waves for example.

"Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes." Peter F. Drucker

Offline mattycc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23/03/2006 10:46:23 »
yes, agreed but there is knowledge and there is dogma. I feel this is the latter. If it was challenged by a panel of ranking scientists i feel the theories espoused would fall apart. It reeks of pseudo-religion that panders to the faith hungry masses who are deprived of a credible religion.

Offline swan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/07/2006 14:08:31 »
of course its all bull**** and none of it will work ......... if everyone beleives its all bull**** it is all bull**** thats the point. even if u dont believe all this or think its bollacks then that ur interpritation. you will find out alot more about urself when u die and DMT is realised in your body a chemical that makes u go on and all mighty trip (u may think i cant go on a trip im ded....electro magnetic crap is still in the brain 2 months afta death this is enuff for me to think the trip will go on) where all ppl hu have managed to go on this trip (thru drug use) explain a supreme race or beings or little ppl splittin u up and takin you off to different parts of ur concious. afta this lesson in life wen u die we'll all join into the collactive concious and become one. but then agen dont belive me and carry on with ur sceptical boring lives and dont belive it. but i ask u where has bein sceptical and not beliving radical ideas got us in history............. NOWHERE!!!!! so lets go sumwhere for once insted of runnin around in this utter bull**** of a reality we have created for ourselves by simply believing its all real bcos thats the easiest, most least confusing and least scary idea we have............ you can create ur own reality even if its all bull u'll stil b happier knowing that u life isnt controlled by the rich n powerful........ ITS CONTROLLED BY YOU

open your eyes

Offline swan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/07/2006 14:24:31 »
this video jus starts ppl off hu dont know much about it its start them thinkin which cant b bad........all u ****in laa dee daaa know it alls........you know it all all ready so ur really cleaver so u know better so u'll look for the floors and when u look for sumthin u find it. if ur lifes mission is to distinguish ppl radical think and believes then u shud have ur third leg amputated. mayb this atempt to bad mouth everything is jus to show how incredibally intelligent u are......... man come out of ur ego and have a look around this world. open ur eyes to new concepts instead of believeing your knowlage is the be all and end all. mayb quantum mechanics isnt the answer but its the closest guess yet. its basically what all religions have beeen gettin at, but relgions have been made with ego's so theres been one all powerful being insted of no powerful bein jus something which we have no comprehession of. also does quantum mechanics say go to church every sunday or pray 5 times a day facin mecha.... know so therefoire its not a pseudo religion bcos we dont worship any imaginery figures and i certainly dont think im goin anywhere when i die cept for in my own mind for a couple o months then hu knows. all im askin of u ppl is believe what u want and dont let other conrol your life and tell you what you can dso with the earth you created. ( the second rant from a swan hehehehe sry im bord need sum realise ....mayb time for a spliff whooo huuuu) btw im only 18 n feel more enlightened about life then moist 40yr olds by by n thnx quantum mechanics its made life interessting insted of pointless

open your eyes

Offline swan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/07/2006 14:08:31 »
of course its all bull**** and none of it will work ......... if everyone beleives its all bull**** it is all bull**** thats the point. even if u dont believe all this or think its bollacks then that ur interpritation. you will find out alot more about urself when u die and DMT is realised in your body a chemical that makes u go on and all mighty trip (u may think i cant go on a trip im ded....electro magnetic crap is still in the brain 2 months afta death this is enuff for me to think the trip will go on) where all ppl hu have managed to go on this trip (thru drug use) explain a supreme race or beings or little ppl splittin u up and takin you off to different parts of ur concious. afta this lesson in life wen u die we'll all join into the collactive concious and become one. but then agen dont belive me and carry on with ur sceptical boring lives and dont belive it. but i ask u where has bein sceptical and not beliving radical ideas got us in history............. NOWHERE!!!!! so lets go sumwhere for once insted of runnin around in this utter bull**** of a reality we have created for ourselves by simply believing its all real bcos thats the easiest, most least confusing and least scary idea we have............ you can create ur own reality even if its all bull u'll stil b happier knowing that u life isnt controlled by the rich n powerful........ ITS CONTROLLED BY YOU

open your eyes

Offline swan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/07/2006 14:24:31 »
this video jus starts ppl off hu dont know much about it its start them thinkin which cant b bad........all u ****in laa dee daaa know it alls........you know it all all ready so ur really cleaver so u know better so u'll look for the floors and when u look for sumthin u find it. if ur lifes mission is to distinguish ppl radical think and believes then u shud have ur third leg amputated. mayb this atempt to bad mouth everything is jus to show how incredibally intelligent u are......... man come out of ur ego and have a look around this world. open ur eyes to new concepts instead of believeing your knowlage is the be all and end all. mayb quantum mechanics isnt the answer but its the closest guess yet. its basically what all religions have beeen gettin at, but relgions have been made with ego's so theres been one all powerful being insted of no powerful bein jus something which we have no comprehession of. also does quantum mechanics say go to church every sunday or pray 5 times a day facin mecha.... know so therefoire its not a pseudo religion bcos we dont worship any imaginery figures and i certainly dont think im goin anywhere when i die cept for in my own mind for a couple o months then hu knows. all im askin of u ppl is believe what u want and dont let other conrol your life and tell you what you can dso with the earth you created. ( the second rant from a swan hehehehe sry im bord need sum realise ....mayb time for a spliff whooo huuuu) btw im only 18 n feel more enlightened about life then moist 40yr olds by by n thnx quantum mechanics its made life interessting insted of pointless

open your eyes

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03/07/2006 23:28:11 »
Swan: I really can't make head or tail of your two posts. Any chance of some intelligible english?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: 08/08/2006 19:05:33 »
Physics world were very negative about it. Apparently it was made by some kind of New Age cult and considerably more pseudo than science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_bleep_do_we_know#Physicists
is not especially reassuring

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: 15/08/2006 18:56:39 »
This video was available on google videos a couple weeks ago. It's not really for true quantum Physicists.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7631138567689617187&q=What+the+bleep&hl=en

- Steven

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 15/08/2006 18:56:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums