The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is My Body Fighting Chicken Pox right NOW ?  (Read 8431 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is My Body Fighting Chicken Pox right NOW ?
« on: 29/04/2008 21:41:19 »
Dear Virologists (I believe one frequents the site and presents a radio show)

See this boy ?

If ewe could see him now then you'd want to get your pen out and play join the dots !
This boy has chicken pox !.....

Though,myself and the fam have already had chicken pox I believe this makes us immune, correct ?

Does this mean that at this very instant...my body is waging a war against nasty chicken pox ?.....should I not be feeling tired because of it ?...am I not expending energy dealing with it ?

....and what is shingles all about ?

Thanks

Neil
Chicken Pox Enquirer

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/04/2008 22:29:54 »
Shingles is something that adults get when they haven't had chickenpox and have been in contact with the virus. I am no expert but believe it is more severe as it attacks the nervous system. It is very painful. My Friends husband has had shingles for the last three weeks.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2008 05:26:37 »
neil.  technically, yes your body IS fighting of the chicken pox virus.  But it is so adequately equipped to do so do to your acquired immunity to it that it really takes very little energy at all and thus you feel no effects.

I never knew shingles and chicken pox to be related.  I thought they were completely seperate viruses.  They have different vaccines, and I'm pretty sure you can have chicken pox as a child and still contract shingles as an adult.  could be wrong though.  not a shingles expert.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2008 06:34:31 »
My understanding also is that shingles and chicken pox are the same virus.  Shingles occurs when the virus hides itself in the nervous system, where the immune system has trouble flushing it out, and then mounts an attack when the body is under stress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles
Herpes zoster (or simply zoster), commonly known as shingles, is a viral disease characterised by a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body. The initial infection with varicella zoster virus (VZV) causes the acute (short-lived) illness chickenpox, and generally occurs in children and young people. Once an episode of chickenpox has resolved, the virus is not eliminated from the body but can go on to cause shingles—an illness with very different symptoms—often many years after the initial infection.

Varicella zoster virus can become latent in the nerve cell bodies and less frequently in non-neuronal satellite cells of dorsal root, cranial nerve or autonomic ganglion, without causing any symptoms. In an immunocompromised individual, perhaps years or decades after a chickenpox infection, the virus may break out of nerve cell bodies and travel down nerve axons to cause viral infection of the skin in the region of the nerve. The virus may spread from one or more ganglia along nerves of an affected segment and infect the corresponding dermatome causing a painful rash.  Although the rash usually heals within two to four weeks, some sufferers experience residual nerve pain for months or years, a condition called postherpetic neuralgia. Exactly how the virus remains latent in the body, and subsequently re-activates is not understood.

Throughout the world the incidence rate of herpes zoster ranges from 1.2 to 3.4 cases appear every year per 1,000 healthy individuals, increasing to 3.9–11.8 per year per 1,000 individuals among those older than 65 years. Antiviral drug treatment can reduce the severity and duration of herpes zoster, if a seven to ten day course of these drugs is started within 72 hours of the appearance of the characteristic rash.

I do remember hearing that although the virus enters the nerves when you get chicken pox, and can stay there for decades; if your children have chicken pox, then it will reinforce your own immune response to chicken pox that you developed as a child, and so reduce your likelihood of getting shingles.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/04/2008 14:03:30 »
Shingles is something that adults get when they haven't had chickenpox and have been in contact with the virus. I am no expert but believe it is more severe as it attacks the nervous system. It is very painful. My Friends husband has had shingles for the last three weeks.

THANK YOU for this Make it  Lady....I did wonder that there was/is a correlation between the two.

Hope your hubbys friend is Ok now !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/04/2008 14:05:58 »
neil.  technically, yes your body IS fighting of the chicken pox virus.  But it is so adequately equipped to do so do to your acquired immunity to it that it really takes very little energy at all and thus you feel no effects.

I never knew shingles and chicken pox to be related.  I thought they were completely seperate viruses.  They have different vaccines, and I'm pretty sure you can have chicken pox as a child and still contract shingles as an adult.  could be wrong though.  not a shingles expert.

THANKS JUSTY !

I'm glad my body is doing me proud an fighting off the pox for me ....and with relative ease too !

It does seem that Chicken Pox and Shingles are related though. Clearly they are variations on a theme !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/04/2008 14:10:17 »
My understanding also is that shingles and chicken pox are the same virus.  Shingles occurs when the virus hides itself in the nervous system, where the immune system has trouble flushing it out, and then mounts an attack when the body is under stress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles
Herpes zoster (or simply zoster), commonly known as shingles, is a viral disease characterised by a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body. The initial infection with varicella zoster virus (VZV) causes the acute (short-lived) illness chickenpox, and generally occurs in children and young people. Once an episode of chickenpox has resolved, the virus is not eliminated from the body but can go on to cause shingles—an illness with very different symptoms—often many years after the initial infection.

Varicella zoster virus can become latent in the nerve cell bodies and less frequently in non-neuronal satellite cells of dorsal root, cranial nerve or autonomic ganglion, without causing any symptoms. In an immunocompromised individual, perhaps years or decades after a chickenpox infection, the virus may break out of nerve cell bodies and travel down nerve axons to cause viral infection of the skin in the region of the nerve. The virus may spread from one or more ganglia along nerves of an affected segment and infect the corresponding dermatome causing a painful rash.  Although the rash usually heals within two to four weeks, some sufferers experience residual nerve pain for months or years, a condition called postherpetic neuralgia. Exactly how the virus remains latent in the body, and subsequently re-activates is not understood.

Throughout the world the incidence rate of herpes zoster ranges from 1.2 to 3.4 cases appear every year per 1,000 healthy individuals, increasing to 3.9–11.8 per year per 1,000 individuals among those older than 65 years. Antiviral drug treatment can reduce the severity and duration of herpes zoster, if a seven to ten day course of these drugs is started within 72 hours of the appearance of the characteristic rash.

I do remember hearing that although the virus enters the nerves when you get chicken pox, and can stay there for decades; if your children have chicken pox, then it will reinforce your own immune response to chicken pox that you developed as a child, and so reduce your likelihood of getting shingles.

Thanks GEORGE

Gosh..I hope you heard right about the body's ability to reinforce the immune response to chickenpox via the kids !.......because, Shingles is a definite no no !

Thank you for this valuable information.
« Last Edit: 30/04/2008 14:16:58 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/04/2008 14:14:46 »
Yep on what george says .. I always heard shingles was from being exposed to the virus in early years then it lies dormant until re-exposed as an adult! My brother in law had shingles a couple years ago.. almost killed him... he was stuck on a fishing rig off alaska and had gotten really really sick.. they tried to treat him on board but were not equipted he got so bad they had to air lift him from the ship and fly him to a hospital in Anchorage Alaska.. he was there for a bit over a month before they could get him home... he was in bad shape.. because he had it so bad.. without treatment and did unwell with it.

I had chicken pox a couple years ago.... You can get them twice I believe if the first case was mild... I never had them as a kid and was exposed lots and lots of times and did not get them until I was 40 something..

Did you ever have them real good as a child?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/04/2008 16:02:42 »
Yep on what george says .. I always heard shingles was from being exposed to the virus in early years then it lies dormant until re-exposed as an adult! My brother in law had shingles a couple years ago.. almost killed him... he was stuck on a fishing rig off alaska and had gotten really really sick.. they tried to treat him on board but were not equipted he got so bad they had to air lift him from the ship and fly him to a hospital in Anchorage Alaska.. he was there for a bit over a month before they could get him home... he was in bad shape.. because he had it so bad.. without treatment and did unwell with it.

I had chicken pox a couple years ago.... You can get them twice I believe if the first case was mild... I never had them as a kid and was exposed lots and lots of times and did not get them until I was 40 something..

Did you ever have them real good as a child?

THANK YOU KAREN.

Well, I'm just relieved your bro-in-law survived the shingles !...phew !!..what a nightmare !!

Glad you survived the pox too !

yes..yes..I have had them as a child !

Thank you for your informative post.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/04/2008 16:06:27 »
As a supplement :

What have ' chickens ' got to do with Chickenpox ?

Are ewe Shingle proof once you've had Shingles then ?

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 30/04/2008 17:25:25 »
Are ewe Shingle proof once you've had Shingles then ?

Alas, the converse tends to be true.

Since shingles is the same virus as chicken pox, you cannot have immunity to one without the other; but the problem is that the shingles is caused by viruses that are hidden from the immune system while they are dormant, so any immunity does not actually kill the virus, it merely keeps it trapped so it can't flare up.  Then, if you are run down, and your immune system is less efficient that it was, then the trapped viruses do a quick break-out, and you get the shingles attack, before the immune system becomes an effective jailer again and locks up the virus again.  The problem is that as you get older, generally your immune system gets less efficient (which is why shingles is predominantly, but not exclusively, a disease of old age), so you can expect that once you get shingles, unless it was because there was a particular reason you were run down at the time, then it will probably mean you are at an age when it will come back again.

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2008 18:01:00 »
Chicken Pox in an adult can be VERY serious! Several adults a year die of it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2008 18:01:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length