The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: California Earthquake...@25 min. ago. Northern Ca.. Any one have any details?  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Any info on the 8:OO PMish 8:03 04 23 I can't remember... California time anyway. Earthquake in California... located in Hyampom??? It felt like a medium big one just  a little bit ago... maybe 15 minutes or so....

Scared the soup out of me.. it seemed to shake for a long long time here .... The dog went bonkers and is still unnerved........ he seems to be getting worse.... howling and barking.......... I am headed for my sons a couple blocks away he is not picking up his phone.. sure he is fine.. but I need to check.. he lives in and old rickety house!

Does anyone have any details????

another_someone

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-JQC5ESySZKfb7WpG_XRBRxNNYwD90BUK800
WILLOW CREEK, Calif. (AP) A moderate earthquake has hit a mountainous region of Northern California. There are no immediate reports or injury or damage.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude-5.2 temblor struck at 8:03 p.m., centered about 11 miles southeast of the town of Willow Creek in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

Shasta County Sheriff's Detective Mark Haslam says the department has received no calls about the earthquake.

A dispatcher at the Humboldt County Sheriff's Department, just west of the epicenter, says there are no immediate reports of injury or damage.

Looks like about 20 to 40 miles from you - so very close, and as you say, medium size.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-JQC5ESySZKfb7WpG_XRBRxNNYwD90BUK800
WILLOW CREEK, Calif. (AP) A moderate earthquake has hit a mountainous region of Northern California. There are no immediate reports or injury or damage.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude-5.2 temblor struck at 8:03 p.m., centered about 11 miles southeast of the town of Willow Creek in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

Shasta County Sheriff's Detective Mark Haslam says the department has received no calls about the earthquake.

A dispatcher at the Humboldt County Sheriff's Department, just west of the epicenter, says there are no immediate reports of injury or damage.

Looks like about 20 to 40 miles from you - so very close, and as you say, medium size.

Thanks George.... i am still at Johns house.. have eaten dinner with him.... He tells me my house will fall before his old shack!! his is built from old  growth redwood.. heavy duty beam structure.. tiny but he says much sturdier then mine..LOL!

I thought it felt closer.... but that was close enough... I haven't felt any aftershocks!

another_someone

Glad everybody is OK, and not even any property damage.

20 to 40 miles is not far (there was no mention of how deep down the epicentre was), since as much depends on the soil as on distance.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yeah me too. Knocked my candle sticks over but that was it.. scared me a bit but everyone is fine... I have heard nothing more then what you said... thanks George...

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc40216664.php

Glad everyone was o.k. 

Click on the maps tab, then on the "shakemap" to see the area affected.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Bass it was 5.4 instead of 5.2 then.. thanks..

another_someone

Thanks Bass it was 5.4 instead of 5.2 then.. thanks..

The 5.2 was reported very shortly after the quake, and I fully expected revisions of that number as they had more time to refine their numbers.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I figured so too. They seem to adjust things as theey finally getto measuring everything more in depth.. Thanks George..

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums