The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do Other Animals Poo Make Good Plant Food ?  (Read 10320 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Do Other Animals Poo Make Good Plant Food ?
« on: 30/04/2008 16:59:12 »
Dear Scatologically Minded Plant Food Peeps,

See this  ?

....what a load of crap !

Champion The Wonder Horse's poo makes the best manure !

What about other animals " Exit Loads " ?....
I'm thinking more along the lines of cows here !

Do you think it's purely because horse poo is easy to collect that makes it stand tall amongst animal origin fertilizer ?....or is it really because it's just so good and making plants grow ?.....whys's it so good anyway ?

Thank Poo

Neil
Animal Poo Enquirer

xxxxx

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2008 22:58:18 »
Chicken poo is pretty damn good but cat poo can contain toxiplasmosis (I think) and should not be scattered on or near food. Keep cats away from your veggie plot by crossing a worm with a dog. This underground dog will jump out and scar said cat.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2008 23:26:57 »
I'm sure its mainly due to the nitrogen content as most fertilisers have a big nitrogen content in them which boosts plant growth, although horse dung has other micro organisms active in it as well.

Cow slurry is used on farmland I think and Guano is also a good fertiliser.

I'm not sure if it still goes on but when I was a kid there used to be human sewage treatment plants that filtered our waste. They extracted the liquid which was treated and the solids were then warmed enough in a large sealed container to bio degrade. This gave off methane in excess which was taped and used and when the solids were bio degraded they were then packaged and used as fertiliser.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2008 14:40:36 »
Actually, horse poo is only useful after a good few months' on a compost heap.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2008 19:30:22 »
i think MOST animals' poo should make good fertilizer.  the only exception i can think of is birds who might not because they have such high concentrations of urea (or ureic acid, or something like that...  its been years since i've had animal physiology) basically they poop and pee together.  may not be good for plants.

i think the main reason cow manuer is used primarily is just due to the amount available.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2008 20:08:12 »
Chicken poo is pretty damn good but cat poo can contain toxiplasmosis (I think) and should not be scattered on or near food. Keep cats away from your veggie plot by crossing a worm with a dog. This underground dog will jump out and scar said cat.

LOL !!..

THANK EWE Make It Lady !!..I luff the idea of crossbreeding a worm and a doggy !

Another way to cure your garden from Cat Poo Non-Joy is to throw it next door where the neighbour will always be grateful.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/2008 20:16:59 »
I'm sure its mainly due to the nitrogen content as most fertilisers have a big nitrogen content in them which boosts plant growth, although horse dung has other micro organisms active in it as well.

Cow slurry is used on farmland I think and Guano is also a good fertilizer.

I'm not sure if it still goes on but when I was a kid there used to be human sewage treatment plants that filtered our waste. They extracted the liquid which was treated and the solids were then warmed enough in a large sealed container to bio degrade. This gave off methane in excess which was taped and used and when the solids were bio degraded they were then packaged and used as fertilizer.

THANK YOU That Mad Man for your valuable information. Fortunately, being a Super Sheep I do fraternize with Batman and believe me his, poo is potent !! ...ahh..but guano is also bird related is it not ?...That's where Robin comes in I suppose !!

I can certainly see why Cow Slurry would benefit farmland.....and that's fascinating about the human sewerage treatment.....sounds like a great idea.......Fortunately, my neighbour regularly enjoys a gift from me as I like to stick my derrier over the fence and give his garden a special gift !

THANK YOU again

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/2008 20:19:33 »
Actually, horse poo is only useful after a good few months' on a compost heap.

Is that so ?..THANK YOU Sophiecentaur...I had no idea it had to be treated ....well....left to ' age ' (like a good ham)

Thank You.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/2008 20:22:14 »
i think MOST animals' poo should make good fertilizer.  the only exception i can think of is birds who might not because they have such high concentrations of urea (or ureic acid, or something like that...  its been years since i've had animal physiology) basically they poop and pee together.  may not be good for plants.

i think the main reason cow manuer is used primarily is just due to the amount available.

Thanks Justy.

I guess you must be right about the ' availability ' factor that cow poo enjoys.  I wonder how any goodness is left after passing through four stomachs ! (That's what cows have isn't it ?)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/2008 20:22:46 »
Chicken poo can be good, but it needs to be used sparingly as it tends to burn your plants.. it is very strong...

Bat Guano is very very good and it breaks down more over time and not all at once so it provides more of a time released feeding of poop joy!

Now cow manure is good also  but you can over do it too.. I think the nitrogen levels can get to high if you over do it. But it works well..  It is still less potent then others.. less chance of hurting your plants. It is cheaper here I believe because we are a huge dairy area and like  Justin said it is readily available..

We use bat Guano a lot in Humbodlt, many people keep bat boxes and collect the droppings for that purpose around here.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/2008 20:39:42 »
Chicken poo can be good, but it needs to be used sparingly as it tends to burn your plants.. it is very strong...

Bat Guano is very very good and it breaks down more over time and not all at once so it provides more of a time released feeding of poop joy!

Now cow manure is good also  but you can over do it too.. I think the nitrogen levels can get to high if you over do it. But it works well..  It is still less potent then others.. less chance of hurting your plants. It is cheaper here I believe because we are a huge dairy area and like  Justin said it is readily available..

We use bat Guano a lot in Humbodlt, many people keep bat boxes and collect the droppings for that purpose around here.

Thank EWE Kareny Mam.

Thank you for also corroborating all the above.

what does Chicken Poo look like ?...is it like regular poo ?..ie: a splodge designed to always fall in the middle of my newly washed cars roof ?...or is it pellet type stuff ?....I was just wondering how ewe ewes it sparingly !..can ewe dilute it ?

I Love the idea of collecting bat poo from bat boxes !!.....fantastic !!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/2008 22:09:58 »

that's a good point i never thought of karen.  i guess i just assumed that cow crap was kind of the agricultural standard.  but that might just be wha I'm used to since i grew up in the  dairy capitol of the world.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 01/05/2008 22:09:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums