The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the ' properties ' difference between polished and unpolished ?  (Read 5613 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps From Warsaw and Polishers,

See this unpolished platinum ring ?

It's dull, it's naked...it's awaiting a polishing !

Hopefully it will be as shiny as this

Nice eh ?...

What exactly are the properties of the dullness which makes a metal non shiny ?...and what changes happens to the dullness to make it shine ?...is the shine beneath ?...or is the dullness transformed ?.....how does that happen ?

Give us a ring with ewer answere will ya ?..in the mean time I'm going to polish off a sandwich !  * le groan*

Hugs and shmishes

Neil
Polished Ring Enquirer

xxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 02/05/2008 01:26:12 by neilep »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ge Neil, as a seller of fine diamonds on the Amsterdam diamond exchange I thought you would know that. "Polish" is a state where all of the oxidation on the - in this case silver - is off and you see pure silver. As the silver oxidizes, the polish goes away. That is what silver polish is all about and why gold tarnishes less - it is less reactive to oxygen.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Ge Neil, as a seller of fine diamonds on the Amsterdam diamond exchange I thought you would know that. "Polish" is a state where all of the oxidation on the - in this case silver - is off and you see pure silver. As the silver oxidizes, the polish goes away. That is what silver polish is all about and why gold tarnishes less - it is less reactive to oxygen.

I may sell them....but I don't mine and make the buggers...though, I did cast a ring once and laser fixed some perocity !!...which was nice !!(yes folks that's what I do....we make rings....don't thing I've ever mentioned it ! ::))

Jimmy Boy
.....does the explanation ewe supply apply to Platinum too ?....just at a differing degree  ?!!

Gosh ......ewe is klevur....ewe know stuff !

THANK YOU
« Last Edit: 02/05/2008 01:55:42 by neilep »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I are a genierus. I can alkso walk and chew gum at the same time.

It does apply to platinum as well.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
No go to bed. It is 6 hours later over there than it is here and it is just shy of two hours away from midnight. That means it is 4 AM in the suburbs of the small town on the Thames where you live.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hi, Jimbob, that is interesting but about the different properties between say an un-polished wooden chair, do you know?

(BTW I have tried to crop these pictures sorry if it is mess)

lyner

The difference between unpolished and polished Platinum is not oxidation. It's how smooth the surface is. For a very smooth surface, the light is reflected at the same angle for all places on the surface and forms a good image (specular reflection) You tend to see the reflected object rather than the surface. For a rough / matt / satin finish, the light is scattered randomly by the irregular surface and you don't see an image. (diffuse reflection).
Polishing wood will often involve filling the grain with wax or varnish to produce a flat layer over the surface of the wood.

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
Thank you for that Sophiecentaur! I knew platinum didn't oxidise much, and neither does gold, but I do know my gold wedding ring is much less shiny than when I first wore it!

lyner

Buff it up with a cloth; it will look much nicer- if it has am embossed pattern, go at it gently with a toothbrush and washing up liquid.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I made a bobo? Oh! the shame of it all -

I'll never live it down. That nasty rodent will hound me to death with his war dogs and gnaw my legs off himself. It is a no-win situation.)

DEATH TO RODENTS!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums