The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ozone - good or bad?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline moses lawn

• View Profile
Ozone - good or bad?
« on: 21/10/2004 06:37:55 »
I have seen for sale an ozone generating machine, seemingly producing bubbles of ozone in a water bath, and designed to be used for sterilisation of items such as toothbrushes, babys' dummies and feeding bottle teats, fruit etc.

It seems that ozone is a very powerful antiseptic, but is it harmful if breathed in?

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Re: Ozone - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2004 15:53:35 »
ozone is basically O3, as opposed to normal oxygen which is O2. It is a vital component of the earths upper atmosphere, to mopp up ultraviolet radiation, but it is an irritant and potentially toxic to humans, harmful to the lungs and causes respiratory problems. it can be produced by pollutants when they react with oxygen in the air. not sure what happens to it when its dissolved in water though.

I have heard of ozone therapy, the ones I've seen don't use inhalation which is a start (don't ask any more details, its a family site!) but it sounds down right dodgy to me. I think the reason its an antiseptic is because its so toxic!!

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2004 02:12:00 »
There is a lot of interest in this right now. Here's a link to a company's new product aimed at hospitals. The catch here is that there have been lots of failures in this field, and I would not trust any inexpensive home unit at this time. Use tried and true for sterilization until proven otherwise!

http://www.hospitalnews.com/modules/magazines/mag.asp?ID=3&IID=38&AID=416

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2004 09:44:46 »
I know I'm sceptical, but to suddenly market a toxin as a health benefit sounds a little odd to me! personally I would leave well alone!

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/10/2004 21:19:42 »
It's being marketed as a sterilizer. Of course it is toxic! That's the whole point. If you think a steam autoclave is not toxic, then try some time in one. The real issue is it toxic enough to kill spores of bacteria and protozoans? I don't know for sure, so I think consumers should stick to simpler, proven devices for now.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2004 23:53:49 »
Speaking of sterilizing toothbrushes, I have a funny story.

My sister-in-law went to the bathroom in the middle of the night once and found a cockroach sucking on her husbands toothbrush.  Being the dedicated and loving wife (and nurse) that she was, she took the toothbrush to the kitchen and boiled it to make sure it was sterile.  The next morning when hubby brushed his teeth, all the bristles fell out in his foamy mouth.  boy was he surprised and confused!

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2004 23:53:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums