The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is getting a degree online frowned upon by employers?  (Read 6906 times)

Offline michel

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is getting a degree in education frowned upon by employers? Is it hard to find a job? I am taking a course online and it is harder then the brick and mortar school. Anybody that has an online degree please let me know.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2008 12:48:26 by chris »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Is getting a degree online frowned upon by employers?
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2008 08:18:17 »
No degree is frowned upon by emplotyees (except, of course, Media Studies etc) so long as it is awarded by a recognised institution.

What actually do you measn by a degree in education? If you wish to become an educator you have to have a degree in the subject you want to educate people in.

lyner

Is getting a degree online frowned upon by employers?
« Reply #2 on: 04/05/2008 18:23:20 »
I shouldn't be surprised at any kind of snobbism. There are employers who only want Oxbridge, those who won't even go for Redbrick. Some will reject 'plate glass' unis. So online will have a stigma with some people, too.
I remember in my Dad's generation, many people getting 'external' degrees at night school and at 'Polys'. They didn't have the same 'clout' as when people passed the same actual exam papers within the actual University.
You'll just have to stick at it. Once you have a job, you can prove you are as good at the next guy!
If you are after a degree in education then you will need a significant amount of teaching practice in 'real' schools and to have  contact with Mentors etc. It can't all be done at a keyboard.
« Last Edit: 13/05/2008 11:18:58 by sophiecentaur »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/05/2008 05:38:20 »
Best of luck to you Michel.  I know several people that have gotten online degrees and have done just as well as ones who've gone to 'brick and mortar schools'.  My daughter is an education major also.  She goes to a brick and mortar school but she has taken a few online courses and she has also said that the online courses are much harder.  She's in her second year and has had to put in a significant amount of time working in the local school system.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/05/2008 09:12:27 »
1 big problem with online degrees is the lack of a student bar!

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2008 23:26:03 »
I am not sure what those two links are meant to be showing. They don't / can't tell you a way to get a worthwhile degree in education - i.e. a teaching degree - that doesn't involve contact with children in a school and with mentors.
Or are we at cross purposes? I agree that you can get all sorts of qualifications on-line but to be an educator involves inter personal skills which need inter personal experience during the course. It is true to say that many of the organisations offering them are just ways of wasting your money. You would need to take a lot of advice about any one that seems to suit you. Such advice should not come from the Internet unless you have a lot of time and money to waste.

Offline emer_med

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2008 20:46:11 »
As long as you choose an accredited university/college the achievement of your education via online studies should be accepted by most - save those seeking only the ivy pedigree. However, as noted - if you choose to be an educator, possibly of elementary children, you would certainly need student teaching and practice experience working in the classroom.

The University of Phoenix, University of Georgia, Walden and many others offer accredited programs that you may complete on-line.

Best of luck !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2008 20:46:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums