The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why doesn't water taste nicer than chocolate?  (Read 2820 times)

David Wharfe

Why doesn't water taste nicer than chocolate?
« on: 08/05/2008 08:29:29 »
David Wharfe asked the Naked Scientists:
Scientists have conjectured recently that taste has evolved as a quick method to determine nutritional value. Previously it was thought that taste was a kind of reward system to encourage nutritious eating.

So how come water (surely one of the most important things to ingest) isn't nicer than, say, chocolate?

What do you think?

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2008 10:40:39 »
If we were to like only very pure, tastless, water  we would be too fussy and miss out on many sources of useful water. We actually do prefer some flavours of  water i.e. drinks - beer / coke/ orange juice and often choose them in preference to plain water.
For self preservation we reject 'bad' tasting water, of course.
Liking chocolate is not innate. It is rejected by many people who have never tasted it before - like beer, whiskey and spicy food. We need to acquire many of our 'best' tastes.

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2008 23:54:11 »
Since we need water often to survive, we never venture far from some ready supply of it. I think ready availability makes things less pleasurable than if they were rare. You can see something like this with air. You need air more often than anything else, yet you do not experience ecstacy every time you inhale. Pleasure gives you a drive to find something. Since air is all around you, there is no need for such a drive. I suspect something similar with water.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2008 21:16:18 »
I think that, if you found a muddy waterhole after two days in the desert, it would taste pretty damn'd good and the air you breathed after being in prison would smell pretty good, too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2008 21:16:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums