The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dimming light bulbs save energy ?  (Read 27573 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dimming light bulbs save energy ?
« on: 26/10/2004 18:13:31 »
I was wondering last night as I dimmed some lights that can I assume that as my light bulbs are dimmed they are therefore using less electricity and will also last longer ?...so though I strain to see, my using less electricity is using less energy and therfore I am saving the planet.....you're welcome.

Help me see the light with not so many watts...thanking you.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: Dimming light bulbs save energy ?
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2004 11:59:09 »
Yes, you are using less electricity when you use a lamp dimmer. However, the lamp dimmer generates a strong amount of harmonic energy on the powerline, reducing the efficiency of generation, transmission, and distribution. A better solution is to use a compact fluorescent lamp. Then you can save energy and see at the same time.

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2008 19:32:06 »
You are using less electricity with a dimmed bulb but it may be less efficient than at full brilliance (light wrt to average power input).  So still a waste.   

Dimmers themselves are very efficient.. They reduced the proportion (in time) that each cycle of the AC waveform is swiched on.... Switched mode..   Similar way to controlling a lamp on a DC supply by pulsing.

Offline Ian Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2008 16:32:41 »
Although compact florescent lamps are in vogue these use mercury with is a dangerous toxin. The ac phase control dimmer is simple and cheap and does reduce power - but 50% in power is not 50% in light - if you dim down to candle power then it may be 50% cost saving.

The best light sources are LEDs - these are improving and can be dimmed using PWM - I have seen 50W units for home lighting.

Still that we need light externally I guess?

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2008 16:50:10 »
In the interests of economy and light levels it is probably best to turn off some lights and leave some running at max efficiency. Or, you could have fittings with two powers of bulb in.
In any case, in winter, the 'wasted' heat from lamps is often not wasted at all - it helps to heat the house up.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2008 18:56:16 »
"Although compact florescent lamps are in vogue these use mercury with is a dangerous toxin."
There's a lot more mercury in my teeth than in my lightbulbs.

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2008 21:07:22 »
It is said to affect the brain. 'Nuff said.

Offline smithdon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/08/2008 03:20:49 »
I am replacing the incandescent bulbs around the house, with the new energy efficient fluorescent bulbs. So far I am happy, even with the start up time. On an overhead fan that has lights, the new style bulbe look like they are flickering. The fan has a speed control for the fan, but the lights are on a binary off or on remote control circuit.

Can anybody suggest how I remedy this ?

I have also noticed that in my office, I have a table map with new style bulb in it. When it is turned on, the remote control for my TIVO is non responsive. It seems to block the signal

Thanks All

donsmith2@charter.net

Offline merlinhawk2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/09/2008 13:59:52 »
Well as for cfl's containing mercury yes they do. It is about 4mg per bulb which is next to nothing. Each amalgam filling is made up of 50% mercury which leaches into the mouth each and every time you chew. So are you brain dead yet? In fact every single type of fluoro bulb has mercury in it.
Whats more is that mercury is actually expelled into the atmosphere during the production of energy at a coal powered power station, through using cfl's we will use far less power, considering that a 10w cfl can replace a 60w incandescent and a 20w cfl can replace a 100w incandescent, then there will be a far greater reduction in the mercury vapour being released into the atmosphere for us to inhale and cause brain damage.
Also mercury expelled from a power station and your trusty old amalgam filling is expelled 24/7, where as mercury from a cfl is only when it has been broken.
So there really isn't any argument and anyone that thinks they are to dangerous is misinformed and has obviously read a little info and has not bothered to fully research on this matter
You research and decide for yourself :D 

Offline sally

• First timers
  • Sally
    • View Profile
    • www.jiayitop.com
« Reply #9 on: 21/03/2011 03:06:51 »
Hello, I think you can consider to use LED bulb lights, it can save at least 50%-80% energy.
You can visit my sources from China also, newbielink:http://www.spammeroomyLEDwebsite.com [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 21/03/2011 03:25:54 by Geezer »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/03/2011 13:34:04 »
Hello, I think you can consider to use LED bulb lights, it can save at least 50%-80% energy.
You can visit my sources from China also, www.spammeroomyLEDwebsite.com

The urge to click on the link is still strong  www.iclickonnonfunctioninglinks.com

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/03/2011 13:34:33 »
...sigh !!..i even clicked on my own one !!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2011 14:10:44 »
 ;D me too.   You have to try don't you?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21/03/2011 14:16:35 »
yes indeed !! ;D...there's probably a whole bunch of psycho science behind it too !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 21/03/2011 14:16:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length