The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do mosquito bites swell and form an itchy bump?  (Read 13325 times)

Anne

Anne asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris

I have noticed that when I have been bitten by mosquitoes, and it swells into an itchy lump, that the sites of old bits (from months or even years ago) will also start to itch again. 

Can you tell me why this is?

Anne

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/05/2008 10:56:49 by chris »

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Why do mosquito bites swell and form an itchy bump?
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2008 10:16:54 »
Wow, I haven't had that experience and I don't have a clue why that would happen, but it does sound very interesting. I have found though that scratching a bite, at times, makes me even more itchy than before...Somewhat annoying!

...I am also a little curious why someone called David would sign themself off with "Anne" :)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2008 10:58:20 »
...I am also a little curious why someone called David would sign themself off with "Anne" :)

Sorry, my fault - now fixed! Anne sent her email from "David Freeman's" email account, so our system thought she was called David!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/05/2008 15:16:13 »
This reactivation of previous bite sites sounds like the allergic response that can occur with bee-stings:
The immune response to the first bee-sting causes subsequent stings, even years later, to produce a more severe reaction, even anaphalaxis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunization.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2008 15:29:12 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2008 00:10:45 »
Anne asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris

I have noticed that when I have been bitten by mosquitoes, and it swells into an itchy lump, that the sites of old bits (from months or even years ago) will also start to itch again. 

Can you tell me why this is?

Anne

What do you think?

I have had this with severe mosquito bites.. they will heal up after I have scratched them crazy then months later the same spot begins itching again where the original bite mark is and the scratching begins again... not a new bite but the old healed one... I don't get it either..

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2008 18:08:07 »
I'm really allergic to most bites. My last horsefly bite developed a blister with a 5cm diameter which wept constantly and the swelling around my knee was massive. I have to put 50% deet repellent on so that I don't get bitten. I've not had many stings. Could I get anaphalaxis from a horse fly bite?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2008 19:36:57 »
I would not no.. they suck but also use a numbing stuff that anesthetizes the area where the insert their mouth or snout or what have you... maybe that could cause the problem.. I really don't know!

But this young girl I knew got pretty bad and always had to go to the hospital.... I assumed just allergic to the stuff in the bite but she did not do well at all!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2008 19:36:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums