The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: gene inheritance in meiosis  (Read 5457 times)

Offline DrN

• View Profile
gene inheritance in meiosis
« on: 28/10/2004 10:02:15 »
I'm having trouble getting my head around this, but we were taught mendelian inheritance, where you get one of your fathers genes and on of your mothers genes, and there are four different combinations.

but could you not get both your fathers copies, or both your mothers copies as well? I thought that all four of each of the chromosomes were pooled in a big tangle in the nucleus before they were pulled to the poles of the cell in division, so wouldn't this be another alternative?

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: gene inheritance in meiosis
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2004 08:49:57 »
In mitosis, yes, what you described happens.  But in gamete formation (i.e. meiosis) there is another division and each progeny cell receives only 1 copy of each chromosome.  There are, however,  many birth defects where gametes form with extra copies of 1 more more chromosomes due to incomplete separation during meiosis I or meiosis II.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2004 09:36:46 »
Oh yes. of course! I knew it had to be obvious! its all been locked away in the depths of my mind for so long I just can't remember anything.
Ta!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2004 09:36:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums