The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are We Just Too Dumb To Understand It All ?  (Read 7584 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Are We Just Too Dumb To Understand It All ?
« on: 10/05/2008 17:43:47 »
Dear Peeps Who Understand Stuff !

D'ya like my Universe ?

Nice eh..being delivered Tuesday !

D'ya also like my 'Mind' thing ?

Also nice and also being deliverd Tuesday (though as a sheepy I really don't know what I'll do with it...except lose it !!)

And here's my yin yangy thingy !

Don't know if it's relevant...I just think it's cool !!

The salesperson said that I really ought to understand the Universe and also my mind before delivery, so I tried to research the answers to them all......My 2 year old son just burped and farted...I actually thought this was a good explanation.....a passerby just hurried past and next doors Honda Civic said it'll get back to me....

so....my question really is.....Do you think the Mind and The Universe are beyond our ability to understand ?....I don't mean to confuse it with something that we do not know yet...I mean.........that...perhaps our own ability to comprehend is the limiting factor to the nature of the inside and outside world and that we just do not have the facility to  understand it....Let me clarify this again...I am referring to our physical ability to know it....

whajafink ?

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2008 18:30:53 »
An interesting thought provoking post as per usual Neil. It may well be that infinity is something we will always have difficulty in dealing with, partly because the people propagating hypothesis know how other peoples mind work already and manipulate them accordingly.

I suspect the paradigm for the Universe bares little resemblance to what the majority of people take for fact today. I still adhere to the evolving planets theory and have no problem accepting infinity in fact I think Infinity is a beautiful concept knowing no boundaries and an endless production line of atoms, meteors, comets, stars, moons, planets, solar systems, galaxies and suns. When I look up at the sky, I am humble enough to accept that there are no limits, never was a big bang, or even a black hole and we didnít land on the moon, but probably will some day. 

I fink Neil is a lot brighter than he would have us fink

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2008 21:28:12 »
An interesting thought provoking post as per usual Neil. It may well be that infinity is something we will always have difficulty in dealing with, partly because the people propagating hypothesis know how other peoples mind work already and manipulate them accordingly.

I suspect the paradigm for the Universe bares little resemblance to what the majority of people take for fact today. I still adhere to the evolving planets theory and have no problem accepting infinity in fact I think Infinity is a beautiful concept knowing no boundaries and an endless production line of atoms, meteors, comets, stars, moons, planets, solar systems, galaxies and suns. When I look up at the sky, I am humble enough to accept that there are no limits, never was a big bang, or even a black hole and we didnít land on the moon, but probably will some day. 

I fink Neil is a lot brighter than he would have us fink

Thank you Andrew for your reference to the nature of my question....in that it provokes thought !.....

I value your words and celebrate in the beauty of the concept you enjoy.

I do think that as a species that is a part of the Universe, (of which our minds, our sentience and our individuality must therefore also be apart of..)....that we ourselves maybe the barrier that denies us the understanding of how it all works........Who knows ?...perhaps in a hundred years all that will change but as we all know...you answer one question and it serves to ' offspring ' many others....ad infinitum ....as you suggest.

Perhaps it's not finding the answer of how our mind works and how the Universe works...maybe that will always be denied us as an impossibility.......especially if your infinite concept is true...but........perhaps...it's the ongoing asking of questions that makes us what we are ?......

It's also quite extraordinary that we exist now to ask all these questions don't you think ?......do you think we exist now because we only could exist now ?

Oh boy !.....as a sheepy I am just a laysheep.............your inference or implication that I know more than would have ewe think ...I will take as a compliment with a smile.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2008 22:35:23 »

It's also quite extraordinary that we exist now to ask all these questions don't you think ?......do you think we exist now because we only could exist now ?

Yes.  One problem is that we exist for roughly 2 billion seconds!   :o
When we are lucky...
« Last Edit: 10/05/2008 22:39:58 by iko »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2008 14:56:50 »
Duhh, I don't know.

Yet I give our powers of reasoning a little more credit than Andrew does. The reasons - 30+ years of study of both eastern and western religious philosophy as well as 45 years of study of science. Not just my science but the philosophy of science, science in the Hindu and Buddhist system (the same tradition, really), science and cosmology of Chinese systems, and "primitive cultures" systems. One very impressive "science" of privative peoples that comes readily to mind is the Polynesian navigators and their ability to find 3 square mile islands over 1000's of miles of ocean.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2008 15:04:22 by JimBob »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2008 20:17:05 »

Yes.  One problem is that we exist for roughly 2 billion seconds!   :o
When we are lucky...

Yes..yes ......I would dearly love to live longer than 2 billion seconds.

Perhaps if I go plant myself in the earth I can live as long as a tree !

Like THIS ONE........

....but I'd like to get up and about every hundred years or so !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2008 21:30:20 »
Wow and I thought a redwood had it beat but not so! WOW...9,550 years old and still alive.. Incredible!

Cool spruce Neily!

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 11/05/2008 23:50:05 »
One very impressive "science" of primitive peoples that comes readily to mind is the Polynesian navigators and their ability to find 3 square mile islands over 1000's of miles of ocean.
Maybe - but they couldn't count on finding it, I think. They must have lost a lot of sailors that way. We only know about the results of the successful navigation.
In any case, there are a lot of modern sailors who could and do achieve the same; there are a huge number of clues about where you are, particularly in a large expanse of Ocean in stable conditions. Boundaries between different regions of water and air can be relatively easy to spot when the 'weather' doesn't get in the way. Latitude can be found to within a few tens of km with very crude angle measurements at noon. Longitude is a different matter, of course.
It's a matter of perceived risk and the value of life. These days, when they cover children's playgrounds with foam rubber and disinfect kitchen floors every day we have a different idea of acceptable risk.
People do tend to forget that building and agriculture got along fine without electronics and lasers for milennia.
The semi magical ability of the Aztecs to produce masonry with straight, knife thin joints is more or less down to friggery - like most skills, in fact.
Teenagers might be surprised to know that life can actually continue without a mobile phone or a games console!
« Last Edit: 13/05/2008 11:20:33 by sophiecentaur »

Offline caboose17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/05/2008 20:17:43 »
The imagination is almost infinite in what it can create then is it stupid to say that we can learn everything

Offline SB_UK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17/05/2008 10:37:31 »
love this thread -

?maybe check out
newbielink:http://www.toequest.com [nonactive]

TOE is an acronym for Theory of Everything. ToeQuest is a Quest for the Theory of Everything.

However - a word of advice - be nice to 'dleviwing the gremlin' -
he has taken to challenging one's argument by questioning your on-site bio.

An interesting method in science - if one were to suggest that
y=x
- to which reviewer's comments rejecting the work included

'yo mamma!'
'yur poppa works at Kwiksave!'

and

'yo bro - howz it hanging!' ???to girls???
- just waiting for the quizzical looks
- at which point -
'don't you even know(s)?' are unleashed
- and one finds oneself sinking ever deeper into the quagmire of 'inexact-ence of the written word'
... ... where at some point
{flailing flails failure fail}
« Last Edit: 17/05/2008 12:50:17 by SB_UK »

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17/05/2008 13:32:10 »
How boring would the world be if we knew and understood EVERYTHING?! I'm still hating the teacher who ruined rainbows for me! :(

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/05/2008 13:38:42 »
How boring would the world be if we knew and understood EVERYTHING?! I'm still hating the teacher who ruined rainbows for me! :(

Your Teacher was wrong...

Rainbows are magical arches that Rainbow Faireys fly through on their way to work.

This is true.

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/05/2008 14:11:46 »
Oh thank you Neil...a comforting thought. Many years of sleep gone missing...

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #13 on: 17/05/2008 17:36:18 »
What a fab thread to stumble into on my first logging back in here inÖ ermÖ yiikes!  Itís been months.  :o
A delightful pondering and some interesting ramblings by all of my favourite people right in here.
Makes me feel all back at home again already. ;D

No Ė I donít think weíre too dumb.

I think humans have great potential yet.

If we donít annihilate ourseselves first before evolution brings us another step up the ladder.

I donít think weíre dumb; just perhaps a bit blind and deaf (if you take my meaning), pre-occupied and close-minded.

Perhaps, weíre too full of ourselves
(pardon my ever increasing outspokenness)
and need to fully agree that we still have much to learn about what we think weíre most familiar with: the human condition
Ö and a few other things besides

Now where is Q?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Only two big facts are known for certain: you are on a large spinning rock hurtling through space at about 67'000 miles an hour and one day your body is going to keel over. Will a new car really help?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19/05/2008 15:47:52 »
Here! Here!

Blind and deaf it is to the Mystery in which we live and function.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/06/2008 08:29:22 »
Having had a little more time to think about our own existence. If we add infinity to the Universe, it must follow that the Earth is just part of a conveyor belt of Earthís as each planet evolves through itís various stages. Then we can begin to understand who we are and why we are here as being an inevitable consequence of a brief stage in our Planets own evolutionary process, and therefore it must follow that in infinity the possibilities become probabilities and one of those probabilities is that somewhere out there are countless billions of Neilís contemplating their next thought provoking question on an amazing forum like this one.

So I guess it boils down to us accepting that we are not the be all and end all and are in the unlimited timescales of everything but an insignificant part.

Congratulations on you evolution into a Philosopher of Science Neil.

Thank you Andrew for your reference to the nature of my question....in that it provokes thought !.....

I value your words and celebrate in the beauty of the concept you enjoy.

I do think that as a species that is a part of the Universe, (of which our minds, our sentience and our individuality must therefore also be apart of..)....that we ourselves maybe the barrier that denies us the understanding of how it all works........Who knows ?...perhaps in a hundred years all that will change but as we all know...you answer one question and it serves to ' offspring ' many others....ad infinitum ....as you suggest.

Perhaps it's not finding the answer of how our mind works and how the Universe works...maybe that will always be denied us as an impossibility.......especially if your infinite concept is true...but........perhaps...it's the ongoing asking of questions that makes us what we are ?......

Oh boy !.....as a sheepy I am just a laysheep.............your inference or implication that I know more than would have ewe think ...I will take as a compliment with a smile.

I wrote this while contemplating thoughts not un-similar to those you were having when you introduced this topic.

One Verse

The Universe is so small it hangs on a single particle of nothing,
 floating in a soup of emptiness for the duration of never.

People spend life looking for something they already had,
but never find what they have lost, a priceless gift that never will be repaid.

Squandered by everyone yet more expensive than everything
we can ever own.

Having gorged ourselves on the fruits of life, fulfilled its purpose
and passed our offspring the wisdom we have earned,

Participated life as well as death, ant and nation, seed and forest,
Laughed and cried.

We now pursue the ultimate goal, to have an everlasting feast at'God's Table',
as if to extend that which cannot be extended.
Thank you for your time.

Andrew K Fletcher
« Last Edit: 03/06/2008 08:40:54 by Andrew K Fletcher »

lyner

« Reply #16 on: 03/06/2008 12:44:13 »
we are not the be all and end all and are in the unlimited timescales of everything but an insignificant part.
Oi! Speak for yourself.
I AM the be all and end all.
I know - it's my Universe.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #17 on: 03/06/2008 23:33:07 »
I am sure that the operation of the universe and the functioning of the human (and animal) minds is understandable and the basic principles of both will be quite simple.  However that does not mean that we will be able to predict things (like the weather)any more accurately than we can today on the basis of the same levels of information that we have today.

WE may have theories that will describe everything but they will also tell us precisely the degree to which things are and will always be uncertain.

Offline TheHerbaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06/06/2008 14:20:50 »
Once we evolve telepathic communication and bigger brains and smaller bodies we will eventually understand everything. Like when we were apes we didn't understand how to use tools, never mind how to make sky scrapers and planes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 06/06/2008 14:20:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums