The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I blow on ice cream, despite knowing it's not hot?  (Read 3717 times)

Morgan Heim

Morgan Heim  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Dr. Chris,

Love your show, and the way it makes me look at just about every seemingly ordinary thing going on around me and wonder what extraordinary things are happening to make them possible.

I have a question for you.

Tis the season for ice cream, and I was wondering sometimes when I eat ice cream without thinking I blow on the spoon before eating a bite. I know the ice cream is not hot, but I can't seem to help it. I thought maybe it was some unconscious reaction trying to neutralize food of extreme temperatures. Does anyone else do this and why? My boyfriend is convinced I'm just weird.

Thanks!

Morgan, from Boulder, Colorado

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 11/05/2008 11:31:13 by chris »

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Re: Why do I blow on ice cream, despite knowing it's not hot?
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2008 11:06:47 »
You could be making a subconcious decision of warming the very cold scoop before placing it in your mouth. On the other hand your subconcious could be of a poor calibre, thinking the scoop is hot because its smoking.

Offline TheHerbaholic

• View Profile
Why do I blow on ice cream, despite knowing it's not hot?
« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2008 08:45:39 »
Maybe you eat alot of hot soup or something and its a habit before you put the spoon to your lips. Or maybe you have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) when it comes to icecream. Or you might have other habits like that in other things in what case it is OCD.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why do I blow on ice cream, despite knowing it's not hot?
« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2008 08:45:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums