The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Action at a distance............................?  (Read 2110 times)

Ethos

The introduction to this topic will be brief.

Since it is commonly accepted that; There is no space empty of field, and String Theory suggesting that every particle in space is somehow interconnected, one must conclude that space itself can be thought of as a complexity of oneness. By this I mean, complex in organization but oneness, as in interconnectedness.

Science has long debated the issue of 'Action at a distance' but today, most recognize the falacy of this argument. If space can be understood as totally interconnected, can we then begin to accept the curious effects of quantum interactions? That being said, I'll ask the obvious question:

Is space a living organism.............................?

.............Ethos

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Action at a distance............................?
« Reply #1 on: 12/05/2008 06:45:42 »
Why would space be alive? The current scientific requirements for life are not fulfilled. Space does not take in nutrients and excrete wastes. Space doesn't reproduce (well, I guess that's debatable if you think black holes can spawn new universes). It's not made of cells. Space doesn't die, either.

Ethos

« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2008 18:02:23 »
Why would space be alive? The current scientific requirements for life are not fulfilled.
You are correct, however, only by our present human definition for life.
Quote from: Supercryptid
Space does not take in nutrients and excrete wastes. Space doesn't reproduce (well, I guess that's debatable if you think black holes can spawn new universes).
Yes, as in bubble or foam multiverses.
It's not made of cells.
All depends upon how one defines 'cell'.
Space doesn't die, either.
Now that really is a debatable issue. Ever heard of the so called heat death of the universe?

But out of respect for your points, I may have choosen the wrong word to describe the thought I was trying to expound upon. To focus a little sharper on the point I was attempting to make, it may be more accurate to define the universe as conscience or selfaware. Like perhaps a computer constructed of physical laws that controls, maintains, and possibly even evolves.........Ethos
« Last Edit: 12/05/2008 18:05:52 by Ethos »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2008 18:02:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums