The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: 'a geometric theory of ABSOLUTEly everything'  (Read 5291 times)

Offline SB_UK

• First timers
    • View Profile
'a geometric theory of ABSOLUTEly everything'
« on: 14/05/2008 09:58:19 »
I haven't had any luck locating any information on this online - and so would be deeply grateful if one of you guys might help me.

Garrett Lisi famously posted his geometric theory of everything onto an Internet site just a few months ago
- as did Grigori Perelman post to arXiv (and in mathematical geometry also).

Lorenz backed geometry into the air motion within the atmosphere - and if 'memory serves' - he suffered extensively at the hands of peer review due to being outside of the mathematical orthodoxy (as a meteorologist).

I've just read that even our very own Nobel Laureate (Brian Josephson) has suffered - not only at the hands of peer review but also at the hands of the administrators of arXiv -
reminding me of a friend's signature on some Internet site some place 
'for each wall which we tear down - another is erected'

Rather than launch into an attack on the peer review process (which isn't my point here) - my actual question relates to the notion that we can use geometry to develop a model for the physical and mental aspects of man
- and importantly - we can use geometry to reason the development of 'mind of man'.

So - my question - that geometry can be used to understand the physical aspect, the mental aspect and the interface between the physical and mental aspects of man.

In true 'Cambridge footlights' (comedic) fashion
- the lines of thought used are similar to those of the guys mentioned above who've suffered at the hands of peer review and forum administrator.

Rather than overburden the idea with wordy detail (at this stage) -
- here's a geometric pattern (a couple of pictures) which'll help to illustrate what I'm trying to get at -

A pattern

---1---

Imagine a single piece of string

---2---

shaped as follows - newbielink:http://staff.jccc.net/pdecell/celldivision/images/metaphase.gif [nonactive]

---3---

... ... and then if we collapse the chromosomes on the metaphase plate (which is also a bit of string) together (like an accordion) - we obtain this image here - newbielink:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/TwoLorenzOrbitsSmall.jpg [nonactive]

---4---

The 23 from the quote below - newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect [nonactive]

'Initially, the two trajectories seem coincident, as indicated by the small difference between the z coordinate of the blue and yellow trajectories, but for t > 23 the difference is as large as the value of the trajectory.'

---5---

23 multiplied by duality (2) is the number of chromosomes of man (46) (with XY representing concave and convex geometries
- imagine the X and Y letter shapes pulled out from the centre
- can you see how the X will look like a curved (more concave) shape relative to Y (a sharp (more convex) shape) ?

---6---

n=23 (46) - repesents a mandate for evolutionary progression (may be considered an emergent evolutionary checkpoint based on defined geometric (the Lorenz attractor) criteria)

---7---

In line with Luminet's dodecahedral (and hence geometric) Universe
newbielink:http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v425/n6958/full/nature01944.html [nonactive]

... ... speciation was pre-empted - and this represented that original point some ~ 30k years ago when speciation of modern man occurred -
first mind.

Cool :-)
- I realise that there are stunning gaps in the ordered list above
- my goal is simply to ease digestion without engaging the :-) gag reflex.

- anyway searching for more info on this idea on the Internet now - (it's rather a big place isn't it?)

... ... sounds interesting doesn't it? or it doesn't? (would love some feedback)

Just as in Josephson's case - this current idea pushes into the analysis of 'Eastern Mysticism' -

- I don't know whether you guys have heard of
  • the holy string from Hinduism,
  • Indra's net (a geometry) (from Buddhism and Hinduism),
which taken alongside the two usages referenced earlier in this post of
  • string theory
  • and a notional continuous structure formed at metaphase spread) -
- may soon be seen to be synonyms :-) of one another.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2008 10:11:50 by SB_UK »

Offline SB_UK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/05/2008 12:37:02 »
heya guys -

just posted this on the Richard Dawkins website -
though it might help here
- the two posts aren't so co-incident.

newbielink:http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44638 [nonactive]

~ many thanks ~

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2008 18:54:34 »
Many problems can be treated geometrically and I tend to explain my own thinking and decision processes in terms of mutidimensional elastic strings pulling on a point.  However to get all mystical about it an look for too much is probably unwise.

As to going for a theory of everything geometrically its probably quite a good approach and string theorests have worked hard on interesting geometrical ideas but I feel quite strongly that they are missing an important fact.  The strings are not arbitrary and structureless but have structure.  Consider a vortex in water this can behave like a string.  I have always believed that the fundamental structire of the universe is based on the emergence of longlived structures in the form of vortices from a random structure of turbulent very high energy space-time.  These would effectively look like strings.

Offline SB_UK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2008 08:29:04 »
- great post Soul Surfer -

Quote from: ss
Consider a vortex in water this can behave like a string.

:-) I have made exactly this statement also - though using images rather than dipping into academic theory - and so many many thanks for your comments - they've helped me tremendously.

- here's the last time I reference this idea (it's rather a bit of a recurrent theme - mostly because of us all having experienced this type of {dynamic flow, geometry, motion,pattern} in our daily lives) (apologies for my style in the post below - it's irreverent - mostly borne through knowing the others (in a wholly e-virtual i-sense) on that site for 5 or so years now)
newbielink:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=530299&postcount=149 [nonactive]

... ... and the vortex reveals when taken alongside the (for instance) cover picture on the current issue of the New Scientist

~connecting~

• vort[-ices] [water]
  • string
  • black hole

convergence underway :-)

... .... ... missing an important fact.
exactly again :-) - and that fact is geometric eversion'
-> the basis to a great deal indeed including the first science
- astrology
(not Hustle Grant)

Thanks again soul surfer -
across the board I'm pretty sure that you are correct.

Quote from: cool :-)
pulling on a point

hmmm... ... :-) ...

Many problems can be treated geometrically and I tend to explain my own thinking and decision processes in terms of mutidimensional elastic strings pulling on a point.  However to get all mystical about it an look for too much is probably unwise.
As to going for a theory of everything geometrically its probably quite a good approach and string theorests have worked hard on interesting geometrical ideas but I feel quite strongly that they are missing an important fact.  The strings are not arbitrary and structureless but have structure.  Consider a vortex in water this can behave like a string.  I have always believed that the fundamental structire of the universe is based on the emergence of longlived structures in the form of vortices from a random structure of turbulent very high energy space-time.  These would effectively look like strings.
« Last Edit: 16/05/2008 08:36:23 by SB_UK »

Offline SB_UK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/05/2008 11:50:59 »
lost scientists
lost science
lost imagination

- missed the point - 
by now so buried under pointless protocols
~ that ~

- I really had no idea

newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler [nonactive]
lost scientist
- and I really had no idea

so who really cares about science?

John Wheeler (July 9, 1911 April 13, 2008)

- eminent American theoretical physicist.
One of the later collaborators of Albert Einstein,
he tried to achieve Einstein's vision of a unified field theory.
He is also known for having coined the terms
black hole and wormhole

- and hence also

Alice's thorough fare to internal land of wonder

Descarte and Huxley {s}'

reality
~more~
real

Black Hole Sun
Sound garden

Wheeler
----- April--13--2008----
-------4---13----08----
-------4---13-----8----
:: reference :: Mead (Margaret) 823 (bounded infinity(8) of 2 threes(3))
-------4---13----ε3----

A geometric theory of
absolutely
(life, the Universe and ... ... )
... ... of absolutely everything

recursively spinning wheels'
'a trinity 'n trimurti d' ualities

----- April--13---2008----
-------4---13-----ε3----

-------4---13-----ε3----
-------4---13-----ε3-->--
-->--4->-13-->---ε3----