The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do glasses, cups, plates have have a ridge around the base?  (Read 5358 times)

adrian

adrian  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Naked ones,

Why do almost all the glasses, cups, plates you see have that edge at the bottom, rather than a flat surface?

(Once I bought such a cup, with a flat bottom. It was a dangerous cup...).

Regards,

Adrian

What do you think?

lyner

With a flat bottom, they will slide around on a smooth table top if there is any water there - aquaplaning. The pressure under the ridge keeps good contact with the table - like the tread on tyres.

Offline adrian

• First timers
    • View Profile
:)This was a simple one:)
I would add that having the ridge is more stable when the table is not flat, it has pieces of ..anything underneath the cup. I was saying that the cup that I had (with a flat base) was dangerous not only because of this, and because of the aquaplaning, but also because when you lift something with a flat base from a wet surface, you have a vacuum. So you apply more force to raise the cup, which gives suddenly.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
I cant say much about ceramics except I believe it helps in the firing process as Ceramics shrink when fired so it helps not to have the base completely in contact with the surface it stands on.

Most glass vessels these days are moulded and not hand blown. The edges are then rounded off with a flame and not ground down which makes thing easier and cheaper. Doing this leads to a rounded lip or edge.

Have a look a cheap wine glasses and you will notice a lip on the top rim and the bottom, now look at some hand blown crystal and you wont see any.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
its to hold ur plate on the table and to prevent it from slipping while ur eating there is also another mechanism and it is that there is a vaccum created at the base of ur plate a low pressure vaccum and it basically holds ur plate on the surface.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you want a "flat" base, ie one that won't rock on a flat surface you have to grind the base of the thing flat. If the thing has a rim, you only need to grind that flat. Otherwise you need to grind the whole of the base flat.
The argumenst about friction don't tally with the idea of a coeficient of friction. The area in contact with the table doesn't matter. The friction force is that same anyway.
Very few tables or plates are anything like smooth enough to maintain any noticable vacuum(except, possibly when wet) for long enough to make a difference.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums