The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do animals (and humans) dislike getting wet?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Why do animals (and humans) dislike getting wet?
« on: 15/05/2008 12:09:34 »
Spray some water at a cat and they'll run away. Likewise, a person will (most likely) get very annoyed by the same thing. What about umbrellas? They're designed to keep us dry when it rains. Does that mean rain harmful? It's just water.

I believe I once heard on Animal Planet's Meerkat Manor that rain poses a threat to meerkats because it can make them too cold. I suppose this is reasonable, since their small size would make them relatively vulnerable to temperature change. Is that true for humans as well? I may be going at a bit far here, but it seems like it is within the human instinct to get out of the rain when possible (i.e. it is not learned). Is it for the same reason as for meerkats?

What I find strange is that humans don't like getting rained on, but they like to take a dip in swimming pools. Why is one form of wetness disliked, but an even greater amount of wetness enjoyed? Even if the pool water is cold, many people still get in and wait for their bodies to get used to it. So is a risk of hypothermia really the reason for our dislike of getting wet?

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2008 13:15:47 »
Umbrellas are for wusses! (sorry, had to get that out!) I would go with temperature regulation being the main purpose of avoiding rain...although I find in my case, the reason is that I don't want to arrive wherever I'm going looking drenched/spotty/or having damaged particularly pricy attire.

Otherwise, I'd be rolling in the mud! ...maybe that's just me! :P

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2008 06:53:52 »
Beavers enjoy getting wet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2008 06:53:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums