The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is on the other side of a Black Hole?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline caboose17

• View Profile
What is on the other side of a Black Hole?
« on: 16/05/2008 20:00:11 »
My friend ad i were discussing recently what was on the other side of a black hole. He didn't have a satisfactory answer so i am here. I thought that perhaps all black holes lead to white hole. if you don't know what a white hole is it is an anomaly in space that spews matter seemingly from nowhere. this is unlike a polsar in that the matter has no observable origin. He said that black hole where theoretical and i know for a fact that they can be proven as i did a science fair experiment on them in 10th grade.
     I am here to ask what is really on the other side of a black hole.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2008 21:15:36 »

A black hole isnt belived to be like a doorway that leads to another universe.

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2008 03:54:26 »
a white hole is not yet in existance, but it is the theoretical result of the end of a black hole, when the effects of quantum physics begin to have its way on the extremely condensed matter inside the black hole.  it's called a while hole... because it's the opposite of a black hole.

contrary to popular belief, you dont really get "sucked" into a black hole.  When you get too near a black hole, the sensation would be like falling really fast.  a black hole is basically a concentration of matter... lots of it, sometimes up to the level of hundreds of solar masses.  in fact, they have pictures of black holes (you cant see the hole, but you can see the visible effect) all over the web, just do a google search.

part of the reason that black holes are postulated to exist is that you absolutely need them to have a stable galaxy.  At the center of most galaxys are supermassive black holes that basically bind it together in the way our sun keeps us in the solar system.

those are my two bits :)

Offline caboose17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2008 18:58:44 »
you don't need a black hole to keep a galaxy stable. Dark matter keeps the universe in check. to much dark matter will cause a galaxy to fly apart. so saying this means that dark matter is keeping the universe together.
Now here is a fun question. Is Dark matter being sucked into a black hole?

Offline caboose17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2008 18:59:20 »

A black hole isnt belived to be like a doorway that leads to another universe.
i never said it was

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #5 on: 31/05/2008 01:58:24 »
A black hole that does not spin would simply destroy whatever fell into it. There is no "other side". A spinning black hole's singularity is shaped like a ring, which might allow passage to a different region of space-time if you passed through the ring instead of colliding with it. Theoretically, you could pass through an Einstein-Rosen bridge (wormhole) and end up in a different location. Wormholes and white holes have not yet been observed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 31/05/2008 01:58:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length