The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do All Parts Of This Planet Receive The Same Quantity Of Daylight ?  (Read 7873 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Peeps Of Ostentatious Klevernuss and Awe making of me !

See This planet ?

Nice eh ?...think I'd like to go there one day !

Do all parts of the surface of this planet receive the same quantity of daylight all year round ?....I know that at the poles you get long days and nights...but all things equaled out....do all parts get the same amount of daylight ?

You see...I really don't know....and I heard this was a place to ask such a thing !

Whajafink ?

Thank EWE

Neil
Daylight Enquirer

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
No, because the axis the earth spins on is actually tilted (about 23.5 degrees from vertical) then different parts of the earth recieve different amounts of sunlight throughout the year (the seasons)
here's a page i found with a diagram: http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/nicole/teaching/ASTR110/lectures/lecture07/slide04.html

The equator recieves the most constant amount of daylight all year round. Did you know it recieves about 1KW of energy per square meter from sunlight at noon!

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In the book according to JimBob- daylight is bigger in Texas!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
THANK YOU Madidus_Scientia
No, because the axis the earth spins on is actually tilted (about 23.5 degrees from vertical) then different parts of the earth recieve different amounts of sunlight throughout the year (the seasons)
here's a page i found with a diagram: http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/nicole/teaching/ASTR110/lectures/lecture07/slide04.html

The equator recieves the most constant amount of daylight all year round. Did you know it recieves about 1KW of energy per square meter from sunlight at noon!

THANK YOU Madidus_Scientia

I kind of had it in my head that although different parts of the planet received differing amounts of daylight during the course of the year that it pretty much equaled itself out. I'm not talking about the intensity of light here by the way , just the time period that daylight is received on each portion of the Earth.

Seems like we should have a chain of solar panels circulating around the equator though !..I'd like to own the company who wins that contract !! :)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In the book according to JimBob- daylight is bigger in Texas!

Bass, the "book" is entitled "The Compendium All Knowledge"  revised edition, number 48.

Offline crandles

• View Profile
If light from the sun was perfectly parrallel then you could say 50% of earth is in sunlight and 50% in darkness at any time and over the course of a year. The poles getting 6 months at a time.

It is slightly more complicated than this. The sun is larger than the earth so this should make it marginally more than 50% in all locations. There is also the issue of tops of mountains get more daylight while valleys get less.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length