The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does hydrogen peroxide, added to yeast, relight a glowing splint?  (Read 8321 times)

paul.fr

This is what i did, but why does the skewer should flare up, bursting into flame?

Pour some hydrogen peroxide into the glass. Sprinkle some of the yeast into the peroxide and give it a stir. Very quickly you will see bubbles rising, producing foam on top of the liquid.

Light the end of the wooden skewer, and let it burn for a moment. Then blow out the flame. If you blow gently on the burning end, you should see a red glow. It is still burning, but not flaming. Carefully bring the glowing end of the skewer up to the larger bubbles in the foam.

The skewer should flare up, bursting into flame.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6730.msg174769#msg174769
« Last Edit: 22/05/2008 22:11:02 by chris »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am not a chemist, but you are probably releasing oxygen from the H2O2. I expect there is someone here who can explain the reaction.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This is what i did, but why does the skewer should flare up, bursting into flame?

Pour some hydrogen peroxide into the glass. Sprinkle some of the yeast into the peroxide and give it a stir. Very quickly you will see bubbles rising, producing foam on top of the liquid.

Light the end of the wooden skewer, and let it burn for a moment. Then blow out the flame. If you blow gently on the burning end, you should see a red glow. It is still burning, but not flaming. Carefully bring the glowing end of the skewer up to the larger bubbles in the foam.

The skewer should flare up, bursting into flame.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6730.msg174769#msg174769

The H2O2 with yeast clearly releases oxygen. In oxygen athmosphere things burn much more rapidly so the skewer's temperature increases generating the flame.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums