The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the differences between DVD formats?  (Read 8781 times)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
What are the differences between DVD formats?
« on: 20/05/2008 22:58:00 »
I'm sure this has been posted a lot before, but I've never had much luck reading answers to other people's questions.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE DVD TYPES?

I understand that double-side means you can record on each side, so it can store twice as much.
and I understand that dual-layer means you can record twice on one side

But what's the DVD+ and DVD-? I know different players play them, but why are they different sizes? What's the difference between these things?

HELP PLEASE!

Also, how do I find out what my DVD player can deal with? it says DVD+/- RW, which is pretty obvious, but how do I know what it can write, the speed, etc.?

<Mod edit - Subject altered to make it a question>
« Last Edit: 27/05/2008 15:31:37 by BenV »

Offline na na

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What are the differences between DVD formats?
« Reply #1 on: 27/05/2008 13:58:42 »
Hi,

I hope I can help, though DVD technology isn't my forte.

Basically, there are many types of DVD media (as you've probably seen). But to keep things really simple, these recordable media use many different "dyes" which once hit by a laser of a specific frequency and strength, permanently record data as a series of microscopic pits (1) and lands (0). A similar method is used in CD's (CD-R/CD-RW).

To complicate matters, different "dyes" store different types of information better than others. There is a difference in the way video is stored on a DVD to simple binary data. (These use different file storage formats, also called file systems)

The first format to be introduced was DVD(-R). This format is quite basic and some problems were encountered between different dye's and different DVD burners/set-top players. I'd guess manufacturers had their own ideas, and even though there were DVD "standards", these were too loose.

That's where a lot of companies got together and introduced DVD(+R). This format allows additional functionality which basically increases compatibility between the disc media, the drives and peoples set-top players.

Additional formats (using different dyes again) allow multiple burns/formats (called Re-Writable or DVD+/-(RW).)

Finally, DVD+/-R (DL) are Duel Layer; and these have two overlaid writable layers that both respond to different frequencies / strengths of laser, allowing twice as much data to be written/read on one single face of a disk.

I haven't seen many (or any) double-sided varieties myself, but one would guess these might have a DS (double-sided) lettering.

I personally find I get better results with +R/+RW media (or CMC dyes).

Offline na na

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What are the differences between DVD formats?
« Reply #2 on: 27/05/2008 14:18:22 »
::Addendum::

Your DVD drive (or burner) software should take care of the burn process for you, often selecting the best speed for the media inserted.

Your burner will handle both -R and +R media, which means it will "burn" pretty much anything you throw at it (except Duel Layer [DL]). Most drives that have DVD+-RW logo will burn CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW.

A good starting point is to check the internet. Often the manufacturer of your DVD burner will offer advice about best media to use in their drives. Additionally, you can ask the company you perchased the computer from for advice.

Finally, you can also purchase a small quantity of -R/+R media, varying makes/dyes, and see what works best for you (or your burner).

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 27/05/2008 23:43:54 »
I looked into this several years ago, and cannot find my sources now.

Regardless, the difference between the "+" and "-" formats is not really related to the dye-type. I recall it has to do with different ways in which the "guidance" signals are laid down on the blank disc at manufacture to help the recorder when writing the blank disc - but it's a while so I'm not sure.

The "-" formats were in the original DVD specifications, while the newer "+" formats were developed by some companies outside the official standardisation group. This I am certain. I believe the "+" formats have since been incorporated into newer versions of the standards.

I seem to remember that my interpretation of my research was that, if your drive could write "+" formats then (in theory at least) they may be more universally compatible with players and/or more reliable/archival in some way - but I haven't time find the details now.

I *think* that most players can play "+" format discs - but older drives may not advertise it as such because "+" didn't exist or wasn't officially recognised when they were made!

My recorder claims to support dual-layer discs, but I haven't yet come across dual-layer blanks in the shops!
« Last Edit: 27/05/2008 23:45:30 by techmind »

Offline Poetic-Justice

• View Profile
    • Binary Revolution
« Reply #4 on: 28/05/2008 19:01:02 »
you can write multiple layers to a "+" disk, and only one layer to a "-" disk.

If you are unsure which to buy, I would just get the "+" disk. Its slightly better, though you need not concern yourself how.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/05/2008 03:10:16 »
I'm not really asking for buying purposes, I think my drive burns every single-layer one.. I was just curious

Offline Poetic-Justice

• View Profile
    • Binary Revolution
« Reply #6 on: 30/05/2008 09:23:44 »
Its great to be curious!

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/05/2008 12:00:50 »
s'why I'm here =D

I like your sig.. dan brown? Who will guard the guards?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 30/05/2008 12:00:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length