The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: International boundary around the planet ?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
International boundary around the planet ?
« on: 08/11/2004 02:34:58 »
This could be one of my silliest questions so please derise away.

Anyway, you know how countries have official boundries in land and in the seas ?....well.....for the sake of us NOT being alone in the Universe (which of course we're not !)...anyway, setting aside whether you agree with me or not.....what would you consider to be an adequate geographical border for Planet Earth ?....perhaps stretching out past the Moon ?...perhaps even the whole Solar System ?..... It would be considered the Planets version of a Countrys Airspace....I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere has devised such a border.....any body got any ideas ?....

Your international boundary bound comments are warmly received with visas.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 08/11/2004 02:35:36 by neilep »

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
Re: International boundary around the planet ?
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2004 15:45:38 »
In the grand old tradition of colonising we could claim the boundary to be as far as we have physically explored. Planets we have whizzed past wouldn't count. Only those we have landed something on before anybody else has.
If life was found on these planets, we could herd them into reservations and exploit the rest of the planet. When something we wanted was discovered in their reservations, we could evict the glippy and gloppy amoebas to somewhere completely unsuitable. Until it was decided we needed a military base there. Georgie boy and tail-gunner Tony are hatching a plan already :D

Duty free boundaries could be a bit contentious :D

Nah pop no style, a strictly roots!

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2004 16:42:53 »
I believe we should defend out to the orbit of Jupiter. This is the dividing line between the terrestrial planets, and the gas-giants. The orbital space between Jupiter and Mars would be the neutral zone, of course. I can see some great battles being fought there, using the asteroids as cover. Oh, wait, the subtitle of this forum says no science "fiction". Never mind.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2004 18:18:34 »
I think we should claim the whole solar system with the boundary defined as the point where the solar wind is no longer driven by our sun (where the voyager spacecraft is about now as I understand).  Of course it really comes down to what we can actually defend (as pointed out by gsmollin), and that would probably limit us to something like the Van Allen radiation belts. Or maybe not even that far.  If an alien race can get here, we'd be the ones herded into a reservation until something was found there to exploit (ala Corbeille).

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2004 22:16:18 »
You've asked much sillier questions, Neil. If we conquered intergalactic space travel, why would we need boundaries anyway? There's an unlimited amount of space and resources, plenty to share with our distant neighbours. Where's my starship?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/11/2004 23:25:51 »
Thanks Roberth. I suppose I was thinking that when in the distant future that we are all pals with our galactic neighbours that we'll need to asign some kind of airpace boundary (or spacespace !) as we do already between countries, but in this case, on a galactic scale. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see !!...........DOH !!..Thanks to all for your excellent comments

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Raedon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/11/2004 09:51:42 »
Not worth thinking about.  

To make Earth work you have to make it one entity.  If we can't do that then space travel is laughable at best.

It is good to be alive! It's impossible I'm here but here I am.. and I rock!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 11/11/2004 09:51:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums