The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: It's Water at the Centre of the Earth  (Read 22394 times)

lyner

It's Water at the Centre of the Earth
« Reply #75 on: 14/06/2008 17:13:26 »
Even short term space flight poses very serious health complications for astronauts.
I am not aware of any of them being 'boiled alive', though.

And you never did answer the question about why pick Gravity as the 'daddy'. Without Electric forces we would fall apart wherever we were and so would our space ship. That makes it pretty important to me.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 14/06/2008 20:31:35 »
"Even short term space flight poses very serious health complications for astronauts. Do your research before assuming it does not."
Apart from catastrophic failures the space travelers all lived to tell the tale.

"That is a fact whether you like it or not. " Quite.

"The pressure the earth generates in its atmosphere is the force that prevents us humans from being boiled alive."

No, not always, it's not if you are in a spaceship. The pressure in some of them is kept low anyway - no point carrying nitrogen about the place as long as you make sure there's enough oxygen.
Sorry to bother you but I only need one counter-example to falsify your theory and that one will do.

"Put water in a vacuum and it will boil."
My word, we agree on something.
Interestingly the fact that water will boil if you raise the temperature or drop the pressure depends on the electromagnetic forces between the molecules tells us something. It works perfectly well in microgravity.
Oh look, once again gravity, being about ten million billion billion billion times weaker isn't relevent.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18/06/2008 18:31:37 »
Crew transfer between Apollo and Soyuz: The atmospheric pressure and gas composition inside the Apollo command module differed from that used inside the Russian Soyuz spacecraft. The American spacecraft used a pure oxygen environment at one-third atmospheric pressure (5 psi). The Soyuz used an 80-percent nitrogen 20-percent oxygen environment at a pressure of one full atmosphere (14.7 psi). In order to allow safe transfer between vehicles the Russian and American engineering teams jointly created a docking module that was inserted between the Apollo and Soyuz spacecraft. Prior to docking with the Apollo command module (that was linked to the docking module) the Russian crew lowered their cabin atmospheric pressure from a full atmosphere to two-thirds atmosphere. After docking with the Soyuz, the American crew transferred from the Apollo spacecraft into the docking module and closed the hatch behind them. They added nitrogen to the pure oxygen environment which raised the pressure inside the docking module from one-third atmosphere to two-thirds atmosphere and resulted in a gaseous composition that matched the Russian Soyuz spacecraft. The astronauts could then safely open the hatch between the docking module and the Soyuz.
http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/Exhibits/AirAndSpace/HumansInSpace/Apollo-Soyuz/Apollo-Soyuz.php

lyner

« Reply #78 on: 18/06/2008 19:47:56 »
Very interesting. But what is your point?
We all know that you need the same pressure both sides when you dock together.
The partial pressure of Oxygen in both modules was pretty similar when they were separate.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19/06/2008 19:28:27 »
Rather oddly, Andrew has just supplied a reference to prove my point.
I said "No, not always, it's not if you are in a spaceship. The pressure in some of them is kept low anyway " and he has pointed out that , while the Russians chose not to, the Americans used a low pressure in their spacecraft.
The astronaughts did perfectly well in a low pressure environement. They did this ewhile the craft was on the earth at one G, they did OK as they were blasted at several G of acceleration into orbit (not technically gravity but the effects are indistinguishable locally) and they did fine in the microgravity environment.
Their Russian counterparts did the same, but at 3 times the pressure.

So we have shown that you can survive a lot of different conditions.

So this assertion "The pressure the earth generates in its atmosphere is the force that prevents us humans from being boiled alive." is nonsense.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 07/07/2008 21:19:40 »
The elements that make up the water molecule must be there. Hydrogen and oxygen, why not

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 08/07/2008 20:38:01 »
What do you mean by this "The elements that make up the water molecule must be there. Hydrogen and oxygen, why not"?
It's true enough that those elements are ther but I can't see how it's relevant. Admitedly it's been a while since I was thinking about the thread so I may have missed something.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #81 on: 08/07/2008 20:38:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length