The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Questions and Answers  (Read 8335 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Questions and Answers
« on: 01/06/2008 16:31:44 »
Footballs in space, mind-controlled machines and long-lasting bubbles join your questions on this week's Naked Scientists Question and Answer show. We discover the feminine side of prostate cancer and the robot that can walk up walls, and also hear how a computer has designed the next generation of mosquito repellents. Plus, we revisit the Phoenix mission on Mars, and also find out how surfing the internet can contribute more carbon to climate change than surfing the skies in an aeroplane! Plus, in Kitchen Science, Dave demonstrates a psychedelic effect with some milk.
Listen to this Show from our Podcast

If you want to discuss this show, or ask a question, this is the place to do it.

Peter Barker

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2008 18:39:14 »
Do you wince at the fundamentalist Christians who estimate that the Earth is around 3,000 to 6,000 years old and dismiss carbon dating? Further, do you, like me lead a good moral life without the belief in an imaginary higher being in 'heaven'? Yes, I am an a-theist, just as I am an a-fairyist. Does your knowledge of science also make you non-believers ?

Offline digfarenough

• First timers
    • View Profile
Questions and Answers
« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2008 05:00:28 »
A fellow on the show asked about living off blood or soylent green. He might be interested in the information on newbielink:http://www.printfection.com/madeinstars/Adult-Male-Nutrition-Facts-Label-T-shirt/_p_2420574 [nonactive]

I'm not sure I'd want to live off people: so much fat!

(Disclaimer: I researched and designed that shirt, but I think it is quite relevant to what was discussed).

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Questions and Answers
« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2008 10:55:10 »
Very good! I shall try to remember to mention it next time!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Questions and Answers
« Reply #4 on: 04/06/2008 20:28:33 »
I'm not sure I'd want to live off people: so much fat!

Eating human brain can also be very hazardous to ones health ...

Kuru was spread by the endocannibalistic funeral practices of the Fore. Family members were ritualistically cooked and eaten following their death, with the closest female relatives and children usually consuming the brain, which was the most infectious organ. The women scooped the brain tissue out with their bare hands and did not subsequently wash them for weeks. During this time, they were handling, caring for, and possibly infecting their young children.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1248.htm

« Last Edit: 04/06/2008 20:33:20 by RD »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Questions and Answers
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2008 23:44:12 »
Mmm - good point; I should have mentioned that!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Questions and Answers
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2008 23:44:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length