The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the fastest way to relieve sunburn?  (Read 38562 times)

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
What is the fastest way to relieve sunburn?
« on: 02/06/2008 03:47:31 »
is there anything that i can use with aloe to speed up the healing of my sunburnt arms and legs?
« Last Edit: 18/06/2008 12:38:59 by chris »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is the fastest way to relieve sunburn?
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2008 04:00:33 »
Had you listened to your mother and worn sunscreen while you were cavorting at the beach you wouldn't be in this boat!!! [^]

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2008 12:03:05 »
i did it washed off!

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2008 16:00:39 »
A cold bath.

...and next time ask for Vampire Factor sunscreen.

Offline TonyCap

• Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
    • View Profile
    • Health Ninjas
« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2008 00:41:09 »
Are you looking for some sort of lotion? 

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2008 02:37:46 »
i did it washed off!

Re-Apply, Re-Apply, Re-Appy!!!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2008 06:41:56 »
Buy something called shade works good is a bit more waterproof... I also have Aveeno active naturals spf70 and you spray it on evenly untill your skin is glistening. Into hands for application on face.. It is light oil free non greasy and water proof. works well if you towel dry after water you need to reapply if not you should be fine.. So far it works great!

You can break a couple vitamin E capsules open and rub onto your burned skin, it helps ease the drying effects and softens the skin which helps maintain a better less stiff comfort on the burned area!

cat_with_no_eyes

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2011 20:55:11 »
after sun cream, duh

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/01/2011 21:33:05 »
The fastest way to relieve sunburn is by applying a cold wet towel to the effected area.  Once I had such bad sun burn I was in agony, pretty stupid playing tennis for 7hrs on a clay court in southern France with no protection and no t-shirt. If your in a lot of pain and find it is difficult to move, a volunteer is needed to keep applying wet towels over a period of some hours, this requires that you have a few towels on the go constantly recycling them.

Initially yoghurt was tried and is great until after about ten minutes when it warms up and then your in agony trying to get the stuff off!! 

Offline richellemedina

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/01/2011 21:04:33 »
Go to the nursery or supermarket and buy products section or aloe vera or aloe leaves. Aloe Vera plant is rubbed on the cut and burn, or you can buy the Aloe Vera Gel in stock. In addition, vitamin E oil tablets can be cut open and rubbed on a burn, and help to improve and soothes the burning and, when used for minor burns, helps to keep the scars as possible.

Offline yamo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2011 13:48:18 »
Whisky.  Stay drunk for a week.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2011 02:44:06 »
Go to the nursery or supermarket and buy products section or aloe vera or aloe leaves. Aloe Vera plant is rubbed on the cut and burn, or you can buy the Aloe Vera Gel in stock. In addition, vitamin E oil tablets can be cut open and rubbed on a burn, and help to improve and soothes the burning and, when used for minor burns, helps to keep the scars as possible.

I agree.

Offline Farcanal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/04/2011 01:34:22 »
Aloe Vera is good. Just break the leaves and rub the juice on. The best way is to avoid sunburn at all costs and save yourself from skin cancer later on.

Offline angelica99

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14/07/2011 03:05:23 »
I'm not pretty sure about this one, but I've read that toothpaste is good remedies for sunburn...

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14/07/2011 06:16:35 »
From experience I can tell you that anything that has the potential to warm up to match the temperature of the sunburn is not good to apply as you will only have to remove it thus causing yourself more pain.  For immediate relief use a cold towel and as soon as it gets uncomfortable put a newly soaked cold towel over the burn.  Of course things such as Aloe will help the skin recover but if your looking for pain relief then even Aloe will soon warm up and leave you in discomfort again.

Whatever you do don't use products that contain benzocaine and/or lidocaine.  These can be creams that act as a local anesthetic but can actually cause more inflammation due to allergic reaction!  Stick to nature, cold wet towels, with Aloe Vera applications in-between seems to be the safest bet.

Should you get any of the following symptoms you should see a Dr: fever, chills, nausea, or rash. And remember sunburn is your skin literally being burnt by UV radiation and the subsequent treatment of severe sunburn is very similar to that of treating a scald from boiling water.  [:(!]Angry skin![:(!]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 14/07/2011 06:16:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length