The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Supervolcanos  (Read 29769 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Supervolcanos
« Reply #25 on: 25/04/2005 16:48:15 »
I just watched the BBC two-part docurama funnily called ' Supervolcanoe ' (based on Yellowstone) ......and phew !!...well. when it goes, it'll go and we'll all know about it !!...it'll be a 'pack your bags and exit the planet' event....oh joy !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26/04/2005 13:59:25 »
There were a lot of things on that programme that were geologically very accurate, they did overdo a few things which i thought was a bit crap.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26/04/2005 20:26:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

There were a lot of things on that programme that were geologically very accurate, they did overdo a few things which i thought was a bit crap.

Wocha Matey:)...I suppose they're allowed to use some dramatic license, of course you're expertly qualified to notice the exagerrations....but then even I noticed that the windscreen wipers were cleaning the volcanic ash too easily !!:D

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07/05/2005 05:36:14 »
Yellowstone Volcano Observatory geologist Bob Smith notes that Yellowstone achieves a "High Threat" ranking for volcanic eruption:

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=203367

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.  -Niels Bohr

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/05/2005 10:08:53 »
Maybe you should look through all this 'warning system' nonsense:

in case they 'know' it's going to blow, they will never issue a warning: the panic alone would kill thousands, and then you'd still have the chance it was a mistake after all. And if it went off, who would care about such details anyway?

Honestly, they'd just get all their friends and family to safety and stay mum.

Not intended ironically, just simple experience with opportunistic gouvernment logic.

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)
« Last Edit: 07/05/2005 10:09:56 by chimera »

Offline Deanwinfield

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/05/2005 20:20:58 »
what would happen to the UK if the supervolcano errupted in New Zealand? I presume the initial erruption wouldnt reach us, but the dust cloud or anything?

"There is no gravity, the earth just sucks"

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/05/2005 04:38:20 »
An eruption in the southern hemisphere would have global effects.  First, the ash cloud blown high into the atmosphere would eventually encircle the globe.  Secondly, these volcanoes emit tremendous amounts of sulfur (which becomes sulfur dioxide).  Both the ash and SO2 will cause global cooling, possibly to the point of ushering in a new ice age.

As you no doubt know, Yellowstone sits on top of a "hot-spot"- the heated rocks produce a seismic low velocity zone beneath the Yellowstone area extending down into at least the upper mantle.  A somewhat similar low velocity zone has been recently discovered beneath the UK- perhaps in time you'll have your own version of "Old Faithful" (though I'm sure folks in the UK will come up with a much more humorous and descriptive name for such a feature).

Darn my computer skills, I seem to have lost the link to the article.  Will post again when I find it.

Found it at last    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050502/britisles.html
« Last Edit: 12/05/2005 04:58:39 by Bass »

Offline hate

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12/05/2005 13:05:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Deanwinfield

what would happen to the UK if the supervolcano errupted in New Zealand? I presume the initial erruption wouldnt reach us, but the dust cloud or anything?

"There is no gravity, the earth just sucks"

no, its 2 far away, just low temperatures, and yellowstone PROBABLY will not xplode in the next 500 years, caldera volcanoes take long time to erupt, the activity pre-eruption is really high a dome is formed weeks before the eruption, and then the area around the caldera start to crack, if u want to worry about something worry about the Vesuvius and Tangurahua(they will erupt in less than 10 years) and the poor bastards who live near them(more than 1.5 million around Vesuvius)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #33 on: 12/05/2005 13:21:19 »
Interesting though, it may explain why ireland is an island - If I remember my Geology lectures, the north sea was created when the Atlantic was forming, so europe was under tension and a hot spot softened the crust, so it stretched and got thinner forming the North sea. It then decided to break off Ireland instead - maybe there was another stage where it softened the crust under the Irish sea, thinning the crust again forming the sea.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15/05/2005 22:32:03 »
I really must stop reading these forums. 1 post had a picture of really disgusting bug & now I learn I'm living on top of a supervolcano. Well thanks a bunch, guys - nightmare time!

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10/08/2005 10:38:49 »
I've heard about those volcanoes,if Yellowstone park blows it would wipe out most of America for sure, and there's also the risk of another "Ice Age".
The thing that's most threatening is these Atomic Bomb Testings,or a bomb of similar Mass Destruction, i know a Powerful Bomb could set that thing off,and with it's overdue eruption?????
hmmm.....but then again, with all the daily suffering that occurs around the world......it's probably for the best....probably.[|)]

"Please provide the date of your death."
-from an IRS letter

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10/08/2005 10:41:48 »
And er....if anyone already mentioned anything that i've written then sorry! i just post my comments and leave.

"Please provide the date of your death."
-from an IRS letter

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10/08/2005 12:19:33 »
I guess we should pass a law that volcanos are not allowed to pollute. But then again, if we are truly in a man made global warming, maybe Ma nature needs to make a correction. But then on the other hand, maybe we just don't know sh*t about planet and ought to just sit back and marvel that we are still alive after all those ice ages, warm spells, evil busiessmen, and do gooders have messed things up so badly.

'...he just keep rollin' along'
- Showboat

David

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: 10/08/2005 23:14:49 »
Let's see....my $0.02

The Canary Islands are volcanic...scientists are still puzzling over the particulars though(because it's not a traditional "hot-spot" model).

The Mt. St. Helen's eruption was actually caused by an earthquake. The mass wasting of the hillside lessened the pressure holding the magma in and CABLOOIE!

Here's a link for USGS info on the Yellowstone caldera...by the bye, it could blow at any moment! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Yellowstone/OFR95-59/OFR95-59_inlined.html

I like to lick rocks....

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11/08/2005 00:16:36 »
Ok im gonna assume that you meant "By the way" lol:D!

-----------------------
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/132

Offline hogbody

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18/09/2005 06:25:19 »
Taupo was a huge eruption. A friend of mine showed a picture of the pyroclastic flow deposit that hit the side of a mountain about 90km away so hard that it overturned the soil. The ash layer was only .25m thick or so.

BTW, the Canary's are a "hot spot" volcano and the island of Brava has carbonites. Rather unusual.

Offline niko

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09/11/2005 19:31:41 »
it could blow today it could blow tommarow and we would not know until it happened and then when it happens there is nothing we can do to stop it just try and wade it out and try and servive

another_someone

« Reply #42 on: 19/11/2005 07:19:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bass

As you no doubt know, Yellowstone sits on top of a "hot-spot"- the heated rocks produce a seismic low velocity zone beneath the Yellowstone area extending down into at least the upper mantle.  A somewhat similar low velocity zone has been recently discovered beneath the UK- perhaps in time you'll have your own version of "Old Faithful" (though I'm sure folks in the UK will come up with a much more humorous and descriptive name for such a feature).

Darn my computer skills, I seem to have lost the link to the article.  Will post again when I find it.

Found it at last    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050502/britisles.html

It does lead me to the question as to whether this is, at least in part, why the eastern seaboard of the UK is subject to significant erosion that is not a problem on the western seaboard – i.e. it has been said that the north west is rising and the east falling into the sea.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2005 07:53:30 by another_someone »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #43 on: 19/11/2005 10:41:28 »
If it is explaining the old volcanic features of the UK then it may well be left over from the forming of the atlantic ocean 60million years ago or so - I think the hot spot (upwelling in the convection currents in the mantle) that is now under iceland started off under the north sea, the plate was under tension so tried to split there (forming the north sea and indirectly all the oil in it) but ended up splitting off the W coast of scotland and ireland. If this is the case it is probably petering out, and if it is 250km down we have a while before we have to start worrying anyway.

Offline A Big Mug

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22/11/2005 03:43:44 »
Forget global warming for a minute.  OK?  Wouldn't it be interesting if the super volcanos eruption was the mechanism for warming the earth during the recurring ice ages?  What if the enormous weight of the ice on the earths crust somehow increased the likelyhood of an eruption.  Wasn't the ice miles thick around Yellowstone during the last ice age?  What if the huge amounts of ash spewed out during these eruptions fell on the ice around the world.  The darker ash captured more of the infra red energy from the sun and warmed.  It would contribute toward melting the ice exposing more land which would only continue the warming.  The volcanos also discharge a great deal of co2.

Suppose scientists dicovered that instead of global warming about the kill us the planet was about to enter another ice age that would kill us.  We almost had this a few hundred years ago.  Would anyone object to adding more c02 to the air to keep the planet from freezing?  Millions died a few centuries ago when the earth got cold.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 22/11/2005 22:05:04 »
Actually, volcanos have the opposite effect- they cool rather than warm the earth.  Explosive volcanism injects ash and dust high into the stratoshpere, increasing the earth's albedo which leads to cooling.  Sulfur dioxide emitted during eruptions, also acts as a coolant.  Historical explosive eruptions all have demonstrated cooling effects.

« Last Edit: 22/11/2005 22:06:00 by Bass »

another_someone

« Reply #46 on: 23/11/2005 02:24:20 »
quote:

Actually, volcanos have the opposite effect- they cool rather than warm the earth.  Explosive volcanism injects ash and dust high into the stratoshpere, increasing the earth's albedo which leads to cooling.  Sulfur dioxide emitted during eruptions, also acts as a coolant.  Historical explosive eruptions all have demonstrated cooling effects.

I thought it was more complex than that.  That initially volcanoes cooled the Earth, but the longer term impact (as the ash settles out) is to subsequently warm the Earth.

There are also quite significant differences in how explosive a volcano is, and the nature and amount of gas it expels.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23/11/2005 20:49:34 »
Nothng is simple
   (Well, my wife tells me I'm awefully simple at times)

Ash injected into the stratosphere causes the initial, yet short-lived cooling.  Volcanic gas, especially sulfur, is responsible for the longer-lived cooling effect.  Explosivity does not necessarily correlate with cooling effect- relatively non-explosive volcanoes may cool the climate dramatically due to sulfur emissions (Laki in Iceland and El Chichon in Mexico are good examples).  Also, latitude of the eruption is important in determining global cooling- high latitude eruptions don't have as much effect as low latitude volcanism (Katmai vs Pinatubo).

I've not read much about the subsequent warming effect of eruptions- I'd be interested if you have any sources.

another_someone

« Reply #48 on: 25/11/2005 09:06:40 »
quote:
I've not read much about the subsequent warming effect of eruptions- I'd be interested if you have any sources.

Not trying to say that any of these sites have the last word on the issues involved, but they certainly do have something to say:

http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/climate_effects.html

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/student/sneed3/pinatubo.htm
quote:

These sulfate aerosols will also accelerate chemical reactions that destroy the ozone. Ozone destruction allows dangerous levels of ultraviolet radiation to reach the earths surface and can increase the risk of skin cancers. Mid latitude ozone levels reached their lowest recorded concentrations during 1992-93. The ozone hole over Antarctica became the largest ever recorded and in 1991 the ozone levels in the troposphere decreased in time with the Pinatubo aerosol arrival. Mt. Pinatubo 2001)
Carbon dioxide is the main greenhouse gas that allows a warming of the Earth. Volcanic gasses that are added to the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions increases this greenhouse gas and thereby the greenhouse effect. Initially the gaseous products cool the Earth for a period of 1 to 3 years. After the cooling effect is removed the increased carbon dioxide remains to potentially increase global warming.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2004/04_03_18.html
quote:

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is the main gas released by volcanoes that can affect climate in the short term. Chemical reactions that occur when SO2 reaches the atmosphere produce tiny sulfuric acid droplets called “aerosol.” Very energetic eruptions push the aerosol up into the stratosphere, the layer of the atmosphere from 10 to 50 km altitude (around 32,000 to 164,000 ft), where it inhibits the sun’s energy from reaching and warming the earth’s surface.
Once in the stratospheric jet stream, the aerosol quickly encircles the globe. The microscopic droplets tend to remain aloft for months to years, promoting global cooling.
In the longer term, huge volcanic eruptions can have another effect. The release of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere can cause warming rather than cooling.

One question I have not seen asked, or answered, is the degree of purely adiabatic cooling that, at least locally and transiently, might occur in the aftermath of the release of pent up pressure from within a volcano.
« Last Edit: 25/11/2005 09:10:47 by another_someone »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17/02/2006 21:35:25 »
The USGS Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) released a statement in their January 2006 newsletter that continuous GPS stations are showing extremely high rates of uplift (4-8 cm) over the past 18 months in parts of the Yellowstone caldera.

"During the past year, continuous GPS stations have recorded between 4 and 8 cm of uplift over much of the Yellowstone caldera (except the northern part near the Norris geyser basin)."

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

http://www.mines.utah.edu/~ggcmpsem/UUSATRG/GPS/Site_Info/lkwy.html
The top two graphs show horizontal migration (N-S and E-W), while the bottom graph shows vertical change at the Lake Yellowstone GPS.

The YVO says this movement is within normal surface deformation patterns, but if earthquakes start accompanying the deformation, it may indicate possible magma movements.

Subduction causes orogeny.
« Last Edit: 17/02/2006 21:36:08 by Bass »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 17/02/2006 21:35:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums