The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can black holes break into pieces?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Darokthar

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can black holes break into pieces?
« on: 05/06/2008 01:01:39 »
If two galaxies collide it may happen, that their black holes unite. It is possible, that the black holes break into smaller pieces during such a process?

If one thinks about the earth being hitten by a big piece of matter there will surely be some smaller pieces. As black holes have some very different physics my question would be, if it is possible for black holes to be broken into pieces.
« Last Edit: 05/06/2008 11:23:31 by BenV »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Can black holes break into pieces?
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2008 08:26:45 »
Very doubtful due to the enormous gravity involved. You cannot think of a BH in the same way that you think of a rocky planet such as Earth. If light cannot escape a BH then I don't see how 1 could fragment. Physics goes a bit doolally inside a BH, and what's inside one may not even be matter as we currently understand it.

However, as the event horizons approach & converge, there may be some interesting effects. If the BHs are of different size, material from the accretion disk of the smaller hole would probably be pulled across into the larger one. The orbital mechanics could be interesting too.

The stars in the galaxies would have fun. Many would be caught up in the scrap between the BHs and nosedive into one or the other never to be seen again. Others could be flung out of the galaxies where they would live out their lives as Billy-no-mates, isolated in the vast regions of intergalactic space like a halitosis-ridden Pariah.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Can black holes break into pieces?
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2008 09:03:27 »
In general black holes can only grow and merge.  The concentration of energy required to make a black hole gets greater as the black hole you try to make gets smaller.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2008 14:14:56 »
what i think is yes just like liquid mercury the black hole can also shatter into pieces.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2008 05:21:54 »
what i think is yes just like liquid mercury the black hole can also shatter into pieces.

Can you explain why you think that?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2008 21:48:23 »
for a black hole to break in 2 one half would have to leave the other half.
One of the things about black holes is that nothing leaves them. I can't see how they could possibly split.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2008 21:48:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums