The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are mushrooms not the most amazing living thing?  (Read 13950 times)

Offline Raedon

• View Profile
Are mushrooms not the most amazing living thing?
« on: 11/11/2004 10:22:50 »
I know someone out there is going, "yea.. this guy loves to get high." [8]

I find mushrooms to be the most amazing living things on the planet.  I'm lucky to live in East Texas where it is subtropical so I've had years to study them just on my morning walks. 

I have to say that I don't know many of the names. I don't take spore prints or check veils I just love seeing what it takes to make them fruit. 

I can't even eat them because I blow up like a ballon to most mushrooms, esp. the common Pizza mushroom.  I'm not invited to Italian dinners, PERIOD.

I think it's amazing how some use a dead tree to not only grow on but use the fibers as a way of supporting their spore factories.  What better way to make a factory strong as wood?

Anyway, any other budding Myco peeps out there? 

It is good to be alive! It's impossible I'm here but here I am.. and I rock!
« Last Edit: 31/08/2016 20:02:13 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Mushrooms rock..
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2004 13:56:57 »
I read today that Japanese scientists have worked out how to produce a form of 'rubber' from mushrooms. It has one immediate advantage over latex-based rubber - that individuals with a latex allergy can tolerate this new form of rubber without problems.

The only slight snag is that you need 10kg or mushrooms for each 1 kg of rubber produced...not a great commercial success yet, but I shall keep my eye on this one.

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2004 05:11:22 »
I bet the energy required to produce 10kg of mushrooms is less than the energy we would recover by not using 1kg of petroleum-based polymers.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/12/2004 16:49:05 »
I have grown mushrooms myself once or twice, been interested in mycology since about age 3-4:)

I grew a few agaricus species a year or two ago, produced the tastiest mushrooms I ever had. I grew a batch of psilocybe cubensis in a big glass tank I made (its totally legal where I live to grow and posess fresh psilocybin mushrooms, but not altered or prepared in any way)

I would upload a picture, but I'm not sure how on this board.

Things came up FAST, from about a half inch on the first day of growth, to over two and a half inches on the third day[8D]

Non omnis moriar, tenebris e lumen.

Offline sithraeil

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2005 00:26:31 »
I find shrooms the most interesting creatures on earth. magic mushrooms are especially interesting, I think.:D

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2005 04:29:29 »
SWIM will be attempting something new soon, as soon as the seasons permit, he will be doing some outdoor cultivation of species that grow on wood, which is a first for him, not sure what species yet though, he is not sure as yet wether he is going to attempt cultivation of Psilocybe Azurescens, or P.Baeocystis yet, in spawned alder chip beds in a nearby woodland.

Most likely the species grown will be Baeocystis, as here in the UK, they will not as easily be recognised as a species of Psilocybe, P.asurescens might just be, as they look somewhat similar to P.cyanescens.

SWIM will let you people know how he gets on with his attempts as soon as the seasons are right for inoculating the outdoor beds.

Non omnis moriar, tenebris e lumen.

Offline Monox D. I-Fly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2016 05:17:48 »
that individuals with a latex allergy can tolerate this new form of rubber without problems.

There are people with latex allergy? No wonder why my QC is afraid of rubber band so much, I think she must have one. At first I thought she was being phobic due to maybe past experience seeing a molten rubber band which looked like a worm (and yes, rubber bands melt in room temperature). However, it was then revealed that she doesn't fear real worms. Now I think I have found the answer why she fears rubber bands so much.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Are mushrooms not the most amazing living thing?
« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2016 20:03:02 »
how funny!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Are mushrooms not the most amazing living thing?
« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2016 20:03:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums