The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does mouthwash affect our mouth bacteria?  (Read 7832 times)

Matthew Perry

How does mouthwash affect our mouth bacteria?
« on: 07/06/2008 12:41:14 »
matthew perry  asked the Naked Scientists:

Chris,

I absolutely love your show and listen to it on my ipod as I travel around Germany as part of my job (I am an Environmental Scientist for the US Army).  Also, if you are keeping tally, I too am one of those Americans who think the Helen Scales' voice is absolutely wonderful to listen to!  

So my question concerns the topic of mouth hygiene.  On your 18 May 08 show your guest discussed the number of different species of bacteria in one's mouth and it was somewhere around 700-750 different species.  

I might have missed this, but if not, I was curious how mouthwashes (particularly those that claim a 99.9% effective kill rate) effect this diversification and how, if they do kill such a high percentage of bacteria in our mouth, do the bacteria repopulate our mouths in such a way that would 1) perpetuate chromic halotosis and 2) not increase the rate of opportunistic bacterial infections.

Thanks for making science fun again!!!

Matt Perry
Bavaria Germany

What do you think?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2008 15:52:15 »
From what I have gathered over time about these products, most dentists dissapprove of the use of them for precisely the reasons you have already given. Mouth washes are indiscriminate and destroy bacteria that we need to help keep out teeth & gums healthy.

I don't know if any modern mouth wash is any better than the originals or if dentists have changed their minds about this.

It does make you wonder (and I shall require royalties for this suggestion Mr Yakult or Danone or whoever) why some food manufacturer hasn't come up with a yogurt or summat to that effect which has a top up of L. Casei Defensis Gobbus Toothypegus to flog to us alongside their Actimel with L. Casei Immunitas Guttas Rottus.

Gosh, I could be in for a fortune for suggesting that one. I'm off to open a new bank account for all the dosh I'm about to earn.

Yes, please do pass that plain brown envelope with a huge wad of the folding stuff over hear.  :o

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2008 16:18:19 »
WOW!!!!

I just had to have a coffee and a lie down after working out that one, when it suddenly dawned on me; How about L. Casei attackus boggius noseius and L. Casei waxius lugholeius and L. Casei Flatulancius............. well, best not go any further into that one here, besides I don't want to give away all my secret ideas.

But don't worry folks, you'll all be thanking me in short while when you're walking down the road oozing yogurt from every conceivable orifice.  [:o)]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2008 16:18:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length